New DVD drive is not picking up burned disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cothrift

I just bought a new Samsung 18x DVDa drive. It picks up regular disc but can't read burned disc, anyone have any suggestions on this problem? Another problem I have with it is it doesnt seem to be any quicker then my old drive when it comes to burning DVDs.

What kind of burned disk? regular CD-R or DVD-r or CDRW or DVDRW? do you have the same burning software installed that burned the disks? also burn speed is going to be affected by the quality of the media.

It wont pick up CD-R. When I go to my Disk drive in my computer and double click it, I get a please insert disk message.

IS the CDR readable in other drives? the first thing to check is that the burned disk itself is not corrupt. you can also check this with a freeware program called CDCheck. although if your burner wont recgonze the disk you will have to use another system to run the program and check the disk. if the burner recognizes non burned CD's then it is probably the disk itself that is the problem.

if the disk is not corrupt, then it is either a windows file system problem or a hardware problem. ( the drive itself.) if it is a windows file problem uninstall the IDE channel the drive is on and reboot, when windows restarts it will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the drive.

Also make sure that the disk in question was not burned as a multi session disk and has not been finalized.

I think it is a windows problem because I was having this same problem with my old drive. How would I go about uninstalling the IDE channel the drive is on? Thanks iss for your help.

In device manager go to "IDE ATA\ATAPI Controlers", there you will find the primary and secondary IDE channels uninstall the one your burner is on and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back