New Hard drive = no floppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I just installed a second hard drive on my computer with an eye toward installing linux on it. The installation went fine, but when I restarted my computer the "A" drive does not show up any where.

When I put a floppy in and go to "run, a:" it tells me that it has been renamed or removed.

No idea what could have caused it. I checked the cables and there is nothing unplugged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

***Scratch that...I restarted and went to my bios, there was no floppy enabled, so I fixed it there.

Check in the BIOS. Most likely something changed there. There are only 5-6 floppy-settings, on the first Standard page, and on the Advanced BIOS settings page.

You probably bumped the floppy cable when installing the new HD.
Check all the connections.

realblackstuff said:
Check in the BIOS. Most likely something changed there. There are only 5-6 floppy-settings, on the first Standard page, and on the Advanced BIOS settings page.

I did that and it worked. Another question, though, and maybe you can help:

I can't seem to burn any data on my cdr...it tells me there is no disk in there when I put one in. If I use WMP it allows me to burn audio but my other burning program won't let me burn data. Also having trouble with either the burner or the DVD reading data disks. Music disks are no problem, but data is.

Any ideas?

To properly use another CD-burning program, you should switch off the XP-internal burning program (you will have to find out HOW, I don't use XP).
Check that your burning-prog is compatible with XP, and that you don't run 2 (like Roxio and Nero) together. They don't like one another in a number of versions.

realblackstuff said:
To properly use another CD-burning program, you should switch off the XP-internal burning program (you will have to find out HOW, I don't use XP).
Check that your burning-prog is compatible with XP, and that you don't run 2 (like Roxio and Nero) together. They don't like one another in a number of versions.

Um, I'm not using XP, my OS is Win2000.

Try re-installing your burning program...
Also try a different brand of media.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back