New hard drive not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i just purchased a new seagate SATA2 500 gig hard drive, with the intention of cloning my primary disk due to: 'pri master hard disk smart status bad'

I currently have 3 IDE drives and when i connect up the new drive it is not recognised, and showing up as a CD-Rom drive

Does anyone know how i can fix this or of any common problems between IDE and SATA2

any help will be greatly appreciated

Lee

Check in Disk Management of the Administrative Tools -> Computer Management in the control panel. See if you see your drive in there. Brand new drives don't have a partition set up on them yet, so Windows can't read/write to them, you'll have to create a partition first, which can be done in disk management.

Are you sure its showing up as a cd drive? I've never heard of that.

Unless you are running XP ser Pk 1 or higher you will have to install the drivers for your SATA,
XP should have recognized and installed drivers when you first booted with the new drive in your box.

Thanks for quick response

running xp with ser pk2, asus k8v se deluxe MoBo, had 3 IDE drives running on my computer, installed the SATA2 drive and nothing, checked disk management and its not listed, its definitely on.

checked a number of different things, but still confused,
Been told to install drivers for SATA on my motherboard, but cant find drivers anywhere, installed everything off my mobo cd

few people ,mentioning f6, but i think this is to do with installing windows.

Checked to see if running in raid or IDE mode in BIOS, tried both but with no luck. but not sure on specifics of them

Can't seem to find anyone with the same problem, or tried supposed solutions, but still no luck.

Are there sata drivers for my motherboard??
surely Xp should have recognised the drive, just need to know a list of possible problems and reasons with my setup that could of caused this,
tis getting quite frustrating, but im staying calm, lol,.

if anyones got any ideas i'd b greatful

Have you tried different SATA ports? Often times, a couple of ports are part of the onboard SATA controller and the others are part of a 'third party' SATA controller... It may give you different results.

Every Non Intel board I have ever worked on required the sata drivers be loaded before a sata drive would be recognized.

They should have been on a disk that came with the mobo. if not you need to go to the manufacturers web site and download them.

Ive updated my bios and i can see the drive in Post and BIOS but still not visible in windows,

installed all drivers from asus.com, but its not clear what the sata driver is..

any ideas

the sata drivers are located on your hard disk's installation disk. If you do not have them, you will need to download them and install it from the maker's website.

SATA drivers are usually installed at the time of installing the OS. You normally use a floppy drive when it prompts you for drivers. YES floppy drives are still a requirement.

I have both promise and via drivers, which one am i supposed to use and how!!! soz and have updated them,

and only have two sata slots on my mobo, people have mention making sure their plugged into relevant slot.

Usually the SATA ports are marked by numbers right on the Mb ,this should be indicated in the installation notes from Asus. #1 is fine and since your bios recognizes the drive you are halfway there.
You must read at the Asus site/Mb instaallation notes ,for some software to install the SATA drivers. You are looking for something similar/the same as RAID controller/driver.SATA is treated all most the same as Raid. In fact some of the INTEL software uses the same setup files for both.

Page 5-32 of your motherboard manual tells you how to make a SATA/RAID driver floppy from your motherboard CD. I note that you have the mobo CD but if you don't have the manual, download it from the Asus site HERE.

You should have both Promise and Via SATA controllers, therefore, you need to install both sets of drivers. You may have seen only two SATA ports on the motherboard but there are supposed to be four.

leespooner said:
na theres only 2
k8v.jpg

Looks like 4 to me.

Cheers SNGX1275
those two sata ports on the right were covered by loads of cables and i couldnt see them, doh!!!
and guess what it works now!!!
THANKYOU!!!
(wat does ORLY? mean?)

The next stage of my problem is to copy my 'BAD' primary drive onto the new sata drive.
I want to copy the drive and the OS, and then use the copied OS, is this possible??
I've tried using norton ghost, but when i disconect the IDE and set the SATA as primary boot, it displays the message 'no operating system installed'
Can u use a cloned OS?
if so wat else do i need to do!

Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back