New hard drive won't show up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new western digital 320gb sata hard drive. I was going to replace my old ide hard drive but when i plug in the new hard drive the bios says its only 134gb and when I try to install windows when it tries to start formatting the hard drive it says disk is not accessible. I tried booting up the old hard drive with the new sata hard drive pluged in and when windows starts it says its installing new hardware and it comes up as the correct medal and it says new hard disk but it doesn't show up in my computer. However when I got to device manager its there and it says the device is working properly. Any suggestions? or is the drive just now compatible or what?

OK first if your xp has service pak 2 you should be ok
but on safe side you need the drivers for sata controller loaded when insrtalling new OS press F6 or so then add the drivers from the disc your got from MB manufactorer
check your bios for new update may need it for to handle 48bit LBA hard drives config(very large drives)
for some reason sometimes even the great MS does not handle some drive right
3rd party drive manager I use paragon and acronis
do search here again someone just mentioned techspot link for large drive reg fix also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back