New HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i got a new hard drive when i put my new PC together and i tryed to boot from windows XP CD and i keep getting a OS cannot be found message i tried going to sites to find a boot disc and nothing works the PC sees the HD but is just wont boot up So i ended up just using my old HD which is Jam packed full of stuff i wanted to start out clean with a new HD Can anyone help me is there a way i can hook up the new HD into this PC and and get my OS on it while the old HD is still in it forgive me is i sound noobish but i guess thats why im here asking :bounce:

seagate disc wizard will copy to new formatted drive no matter what size
you don't give much info for more help
in your profile under sig put the type of machine you have details details
you may need to change boot order in bios you may need to add sata drivers if sata drive

doh

Yea sorry i added some stuff to profile . Ok i got all these PC parts in the mail and put them together . THe HD which came with no boxes no papaer nothing just came in a protective bag i guess a static resistant bag like i said no papers software nothing the HD is a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 ATA/133 HDD 40GB HD . WHen i put it all together this HD wont boot up from windows XP disc or any other boot disc ive tried to download online . Ive gone into BIOS and set boot list at (1) disc drive (2) floppy (3) Hard drive . now ive also changed this order around hoping i could get it to work . Its like the HD just isnt reading anything i put into the Disc drive or floppy disc drive . I was just wondering is there a way to connect this Blank HD to my PC thats up and running and get a OS put on it . so that i can then take my old HD out and start fresh with the new 1 . thanks for the help i know im a noob :dead:

Do you see the HD listed in the BIOS? Do you see it displayed during POST? Can you get the XP CD to boot?

If CD-ROM/DVD-ROM is first in the boot order. The XP CD should boot from there and go through the install. Check that the cables are all connected correctly, the jumpers are set properly and the BIOS is set correctly.

disable boot floppy seek
put the hdd as 2nd in boot order enable lba
make sure you use master on first ide for the hdd and master on 2nd for cd dvd rom

some older cd roms will not read windows 2000 or xp use dma mode for cdrom
if you can't that could be it
try the seagate tool for a copy if thats all you want to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back