New here & have XP problems help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this site googling my problem with my laptop. Im really new at this stuff and could use some help pls.
I cant run my virus scan either on puter or online and cant update it either bc my puter shuts off during the scan. I cant do it in safe mode either. I read some posts soomewhere on here about ppl having same problem. Im using the AVG which i really like and i downloaded ad-aware (think thats the name) and system mechanic and they find the usual stuff and i do the deleting crap. No viruses found so i know thats not it. Just started doing this the last couple weeks. I also downloaded speedfan which i have no clue how to use, lol. Could someone pls tell me how to use it and also i read somewhere about cleaning the fan(s)? Can someone tell me step by step how to do that so i dont wreck my puter bc im really not that smart with this stuff. Im hoping to fix this stupid problem.
Thanks, Brat.

Hi SexyBrat7, welcome to Techspot. It sounds, to me, like you may have a virus on your computer, and it has the capability of disabiling your anti-virus programs. What anti-virus program do you have on your computer?

You can download a trial version of Ewido here: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Be sure you update it before using it, and when it finds a problem, be sure to select the check box to do the same action (clean) when it finds a problem, otherwise, you will have to click continue, to keep scanning with every problem it finds.

Try Ewido, and see if that helps, if that doesn't work, then we may have to try other things, so keep us informed.

Ive tried the trend on online and puter shuts off while its scanning. I couldnt update my AVG till this am when i installed the speedfan..yesterday puter shut down while trying to do that. I havent scanned yet again..almost afraid too lol. Ive heard things about the XP laptops overheating or thinking they are overheating while running the scans and shutting off puter. The puter has been shutting off randomly for the last 2 weeks and i have been able to run my virus scan all the way through and found nothing, just till the last 4 days or so it shuts down while doing the virus scan which would lead me to believe its not a virus but what do I know lol. Ill try the other scan thing while on here now and post bk.

Thanks

ok downloaded the free trial one and ran the speedfan at same time. Everytime the speedfan showed the puter overheating i paused the virus scan and waited for it to cool down. Then resumed scanning and made it through a whole scan finally! Just had the usual crap of cookies and stuff, 1 trojan and it all was wiped out. So i figure its a overheating prob with puter and like i said heard lots with XP have that prob so i did the female thing and vacuumed the air vent things from outside only bc i havent a clue how or if I should do the inside of puter with vacuum.

Now instead of HDO being at 49C and Temp1 being at 61C its at around 38C-41C for HDO and 45C for the Temp1. Ill see what happens running my AVG in the am, if puter shuts off again. I still think its too hot but it did make a diff vacuuming it. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Brat

You don't want to use a vacuum inside your computer as this can cause a static charge that might damage your computer. It's best to get a "can of air" or "electronics cleaner" and blow all the dusty bunnies out.

As long as you unplug your computer before you open it, you shouldn't have any problem at all. Just make sure you don't unplug anything inside the computer and you'll be fine. When you're blowing out all the dust, pay special attention to the large heatsink with the fan on it and the metal box with all the red, yellow and black wires coming out of it.

Also go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery and make sure "automatically reboot on errors" is unchecked.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back