New Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Suddenly I have acquired an icon "Set Program Access & Defaults" [add & remove programs}
never seen it before. It brings up a banner, & there are three options; M/Soft Windows, Non M/Soft, & Custom, mine is set at Custom, I didn't set it.
Any advice as to which it should it should be for me, should I leave it where it is, or move it to M/Soft Windows?, what is the difference?
Thanks.

That is something that comes up when you first install windows. Not sure why it all the sudden came up now for you. To be honest with you I think I just closed it and never dealt with it when I started.

Did you recently add SP1? first time I remember seeing that icon it was just after installing the SP1 update to XP.
I have personally left it alone, it appears it is set to "custom"

Im almost positive that comes up after you install SP1. I'd reccomnend you leave it to deafults, as thats what the rest of us have done :blush:

You can customise if you want. The worst that could happen is that you lose association of some program e.g. IE is not your default brwser anymore which can be fixed with 2 clicks.

It allows you to set preferred applications to something else than MS default. Default browser to other than IE, Java VM to something other than MS, Mail client to sth else than Outlook etc.

I believe that "option" was forced onto MS by the US DOJ. It's available in Windows 2000 starting from Service Pack 3 also.

As ever, thanks!, yes, I recently installed a load [13] updates, & SP1 was one of them. Taking your collective advice, I shall leave well alone.
Incidentally, I had to d/load each of the13,one at a time, tried lumpinig 3 or 4 together & the insal failed. Not complaining, in future I shall do it singly, surprisingly it takes very little time that way [I haven't Broadband, not in my area] 2 hours & they were all installed.
By the way, the "spurious emails I told you about, SEEM to have ceased, after about 5 weeks, & around 250 emails, none for the last couple of days, so, fingers crossed! I did go to my Address Book daily, & delete any addresses that they snuck in there, maybe that helped [maybe]
Thanks all, once again.

Keep in mind also that you can now order a free update cd from M$ (at least in the states but I think it's elsewhere as well) so you don't have to keep downloading them. I believe it's current up to Oct. 2003 and includes most of the O/S's from '98 to XP. If you need the link, let me know.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Why not just post it for future reference if anyone needs to search for it :)

Thanks Masque

What was I thinking? Yer right Poert.

It's right HERE !

Just a thought guys.I found a use for this application.I only surf and do email under a limited user on my Win2k pk4 .All my multimedia, DVD transfer,Music transfer etc as Admin user.I have found so many software/hrdwre conflcts with these programs that this applet was very helpful with.Granted I only made custom settings in it for IE,Nero, DVD copy and Media player.
Take acloser look at it especially if you are an administrator you might find it helpful.
Besides you know Microsoft this Applet is going to affect your sooner or later.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327931&Product=win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back