new install of windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernon L. Gratt

Hi guys,

I recieved some really good advice from some members, but I have one more question. Rather than reinstall windows xp,because I don't like the idea, can I
copy my existing windows onto my my second hard drive. The other drive is drive d:\ ,so if I do this and format drive drive c:\ can I keep my e mail provider and all my other programs. If so after I transfer my programs back after installing a new copy windows can I format drive D:\ and have two fresh drives. Sound complicated I hope not. Please help me guys.

Sorry Mark

I said I would copy windows xp to my slave. What I meant was can I transfer windows xp to that drive using disk imaging program. Then could I save all my settings.

Thanks

You can image that over and then grab your whole folder under documents and settings and transfer all your settings back... in theory. If you are reinstalling because of a problem, you might copy the problem back, and all the shortcut icons of programs you dont have installed on the new installation will be there too. Thats really a minor annoyance as you can delete those, but i dont recommend doing it at all, i have and ran with it for a couple months before i started running into problems, but it also depends on what programs you are running... in short the result will be different for each different configuration. Basically NOT RECOMMENDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back