New Intel Chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

I am wondering if Intel is coming out with a new chip that will soon take the lead away from their latest ones? Does anyone know if they are actually coming out with a new chip, because this will determine when I get my computer?

Thank You.

I heard it comes out next month along with Nv's new card line up. I can't wait :)

(holding off B-day present until then :) :) :) )

Negatory about the CPU

Kentsfeild will come out early next year, I think its Q1. It is going to be sold as the Core 2 Extreme Edition, so expect to pay lots of money. It is going to require a special chipset, so make sure you get the right motherboard. I personally cant wait, I am definatly going to get one.

hoping that AMD will come out with somthing as by then as I need a new puter and am not willing to go one step at this point.

Amd is releasing their "Quad" core setup. However, its basically just a server board with two sockets and enhanced for gaming.

The Kentsfield is two Core 2 Duos placed side by side and hacked together. Intel probably would have preferred a true native quad core design, but the desire for bragging rights (and sales, market share, etc.) won out in the end. Intel will have the first quad core CPU and for that I give them props (even if it is hacked ;)).

AMD is not releasing a quad core processor anytime soon. they are taking a different (slower, but better in the end) approach to the quad core market. I'm sure they could hack together a couple X2's or Opterons and call it a quad core, but it would most likely be outperformed by the Kentsfield. So they are taking the smart route (most likely to avoid letting Intel beat them a second time). AMD's next gen CPU (codenamed "barcelona") will be a true native quad core. time will tell if it will meet or beat the kentsfield. check out this article on barcelona, AMD's next gen CPU.

What Canadian is referring to is the AMD 4x4 platform. It is a dual CPU socket and dual PCI-E slot gaming platform connected via hypertransport links.

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back