New Intel Proc. or AMD Proc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

I was just wondering what your opinion was on this deal I found. I have been looking for a processor, and I quoted a few things and realized for ~ $135 I could get a Socket AM2 Mobo w/pci-express slot, and an AMD Athlon 64 3800 (2.2gh, 512 L2). I could also stick to my current mobo and get a new $90.00 Pentium 4(3.0ghz, 1MB L2. What should I do? I am on the verge of going with the P4 because it is a cheaper alternative for now (I have a lot more expenses to worry about), but what do you guys think?

EDIT:

AMD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103631R
Intel - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116175

The AM2 Mobo is cheap as well, being ~ $45.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185083

My Via Mobo cost ~ $45.00 (ECS Via P4M800PRO-M478)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135221

Hmm, well, I'm not really a fan of PC Chips, especially their cheap boards like this. I wouldn't expect the best of performance if you're trying to upgrade to something hard core.

However, I'm not fan of a MicroATX ECS board either :)

Here's the deal, frankly I wouldn't upgrade anything right now. Upgrading your CPU may give you some benefit, maybe noticeable depending on your old one. But it'll be the last upgrade you do on that thing!

Since the ECS doesn't have PCI-E. You cannot just upgraded to a AM2 mobo and CPU. You'll have to get a new video card, and possibly RAM. Which is a bigger expense.

If you really really really have to get a few more flops from your rig, go ahead with the P4. But it would be wiser at this point to keep saving your money and wait until you can afford the new AM2 (or whatever is new at the time), CPU and video (and RAM?).
Take your $90, stick it in a drawer, add more every so often. That is my advice. You can take it, or take it vehemently!

If youre going to get a processor, DEFINETLY get an AMD. They are the only manufacturers who make 64-bit processors

sw123 said:
If youre going to get a processor, DEFINETLY get an AMD. They are the only manufacturers who make 64-bit processors
I believe Intel's Core 2 Duo features two 64-bit cores(after all; it is "Vista ready".)

I would strongly advise against getting a PCCHIPS motherboard. They are dirt cheap for a reason: Their boards are crap.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy a quality CPU and pair it with garbage parts.

If money is that much of a constrain, the upgraded P4 will help you more. If you can spare the extra cash, a QUALITY motherboard coupled with the 3800+ will serve you very well.

sw123 said:

Sorry, but this is grossly incorrect. Both Intel and AMD have had 64bit desktop CPUs widely availble for a few years now. Any Intel CPU in the 6xx, 8xx and 9xx series is a 64-bit processor, as are the Core and Core 2 processors.

Please keep your facts straight.

nope wrong! Intel has made 64bit processors for quite a long time.

But in either case, AMD or Intel, it is pretty much pointless to get a 64bit OS. Few software programs, drivers, or games support it. It's basically way ahead of its time.

I posted it after u Soul Harvester but I had been typing from before. So I didn't see the new posts made by u until I hit Alt+S.

I would go with AMD, My mom has a PCChips board, I had no problem with it..But do you have ram for it? Its DDR2 800..Here is some good quality ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231085

I got that same ram, its very fast..Thats the cheapest they got for DDR2 800 in a gig.

Another reason I would go with the AMD board is later on when you get some more money you could get the Dual Core
Athlon...

My AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ was only $150.

sw123 said:

You need to do some research before you say stuff that you don't know..

The Pentium 4 Cedar Mills have 64 bit...And Pentium D's and Core 2.

I already have 512MB of DDR2 533 ram that I could use for it, although I know it won't give as much performance. I have a MicroAtx case that I could use also.

sw123 said:
LOL!!!!!!!!! just because intel doesn't put 64 on their stickers doesn't make them incapable of running 64-bit instructions. let's see here, 6xx series, 8xx, 9xx, all core architecture including but not limited to conroe, kentsfield and cloverdale.

right now if you're looking to build a mid-level system you can go either way with intel or amd. just don't get a single core processor. i'd advise against buying any intel processor less than an E6300, such as the presler core 9xx or the smithfield core 8xx. if you've got the budget to get a Core 2 Duo, do it. if not get an AMD X2 3800+ or 4200+, they're great processors in both 939 and AM2 platforms.

sw123 said:

OKAY!!!! We all realize that he made a mistake, can anyone please help me with the processor? (No hard feelings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back