New(ish) computer turning itself off, fans still spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I recently built my current PC, which is a 3.2ghz pentium 4, gigabyte GA-8IG100-G motherboard with 2gb of geil value ram (2.5, 3,3, 6) with an AGP x800 XT PE video card. Sometimes the computer will seemingly power down, monitor displays the 'no sigal' message, but the CPU and case fans continue spinning. Normally a simple reset will allow the computer to post, but once I had to reset the bios. I am using a Antec 450watt PSU, which the shop I got it from assured me was the best they have as it cost a fortune. This might be wrong :) Had a few problems with this PC, and am starting to get worried its going to die again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Max cpu temp is 35 degrees after pc has been on for a while, system isnt overclocked, all cpu, DIMM and AGP voltages are at default.

The computer store who sold you the PSU wasn't ripping you off. Antec has an excellent reputation for making PSUs (lol @metalX for his post below :haha: ), so that isn't likely the problem.

Let's try a couple of things to troubleshoot:

1. Right click on "my computer" then "manage" then "event viewer". Browse around in the three categories there looking for errors that are being reported to see if you can get any hints as to what is causing your crashes.

2. Stupid question maybe, but best not left unasked. Do you have the graphics card plugged into your power supply? (the 4 pin connector)

3. If neither of the two above produce anything, may as well run a diagnostic on your ram to rule that out. Takes a long time to run this program so be forewarned. Let it pass for 6 or 7 runs. www.memtest.org

Let us know how it goes, and welcome to techspot!

Thanks for the reply and help.

1. Can't see any errors or anything in the event viewer logs, but my system doesn't really crash, I never get any error messsages on windows restarting, just all powers on and lights, fans all spinning but pc is effectively off.

2. Graphics card is plugged into the power.

3. I have already let memtest run many, many cycles (all day while at work) and haven't got any errors.

Some days I can run the PC for hours on end and dont get it powering off. Othertimes it can happen say twice in an hour. I could put up with this, but main worry is that something is seriously wrong and this is just the first manifestation of the problem.

Thanks again.

Is it going into hybernation by chance? If this is only happening after periods when you are NOT using it, maybe that is the problem.

If this could be it, go into your power management settings in the control panel and shut off the hybernation settings.

You mean you don't know about the Antec CPUs? They are great! :approve:

lol metalx. I edited my post. CPU PSU ..... bah. :knock:

Hibernation was turned off, but I have told a few USB devices like my modem not to go on standby and also disabled my screen saver, as alot of the time it is when I have left PC for a few mins, I come back and its turned itself off. Not always though. Been on all night now and no shutting off so maybe its fixed, but it often won't turn off, then next time it might. Thanks for the replys.

Well hey, Antec would probably make good CPUs because they ake good PSUs Then you Could have an Antec TruPower 480W PSU to go with your Antec TruFast 4.4 ghz processor with NeoHE Core lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back