New member with BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgamiItto

First off I would like to say hello everyone. I have found a lot of infomation from this site, I figured I'd join and see if anyone could help me. I'll try to make a long story short. The current problem I'm having is with BSOD, I used to get them everyone once and awhile but then they start to really get out of hand. So I ran memtest on each memory stick(only have 2), and then together. On one test I got 17 errors. So I called manufactuer since I'm under warrenty. But before I had gotten around to calling them I had reinstalled windows and was only one of the two memory sticks and the machine ran fine no blue screens at all. So I get the replacment memory and replace the one I think is bad. Machine is running fine all day no problems, get home from work start using it again, and then it blue screened. So here I am now on my hands and knees pleading for help :confused: , I'm going to attach my minidumps and wait with my fingers crossed,lol. Hope to hear back from everyone with some recommendations. Thanks everyone

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It looks as though you`ve still got a ram problem.

Are both sticks of ram exactly the same? I.E same size/speed/make/specs.

Try running your system with just one stick of ram. Also, try putting your ram in a different dimm slot, and run the Memtest programme again.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

To answer your first question, yes both sticks are exactly the same pc3200 512, CL timing 3. I'll run Memtest again tonight on each one of them single then together, but before I do that, I'll try to switch them around and see if it does it again until I run the tests again. The thing that is most annoying is, it is totally random, so at anytime it could happen. If this keeps happening I think I might order just a single GIG chip. I'll give you an update as soon as I finish those tests.

I can`t comment on the Patriot brand, as I`ve never used it.

Provided it`s on your Notebooks compatible list it should be ok.

How did the Memtest go?

Regards Howard :)

Do you still get BSOD`s if you only use one stick of ram?

Sometimes, sticks of ram will run perfectly on their own, but not with another stick of ram.

This is either an incompatibility issue with the ram/mobo combination, or a mobo problem of some description.

Please be aware. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

Also check for overheating.

Regards Howard :)

Something I forgot to post, last week as a test to see if it was a problem with both slots, I put a 512 pc3200 CL2.5 and a 256 pc2700 or pc2100 can't remember with CL 2.5 timing. Ran the machine with the two fine for a week and did as much as I could to try to get it to blue screen and it didn't do anything. So in a way I guess its good becuase it shows me that both slots can function at the same time, but maybe it's just this particular brand of memory it doesn't like. But I do have to say at the time of this post the machine hasn't blue screened in two days. And to answer your first question I never got a blue screen with only one stick in the machine. I'll keep you updated as soon as somehting happens(fingers crossed).

it's el cheapo RAM. You get what you pay for. RTFM for your computer. What brands do they recommend?

In any of their printed material they don't specifically say which brand they use and or recommend. But thanks for the heads up with Patriot, is Corsair what you would consider to be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back