New Motherboard - how to preserve hard drive contents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be possible to repair your operating system once you have the new mobo. Is it XP?

It may be possible to repair your operating system once you have the new mobo. Is it XP?

Yes, it is XP. If the repair function works that would be a huge relief. Any confirmation on this?

A Windows repair may or may not work.

I deffinitely recommend going with Tedsters advice and backing up your important data.

Then, if the worst comes to the worst and you have to reformat the hard drive, you`ll have all your important data to hand.

Regards Howard :)

Yup, backing up would be safer as the only way to find out if the repair function is available is to try it.

Well my old motherboard is on the Intel 915P chipset I believe and this new motherboard I am looking at is on the Intel 945P chipset...does that mean I should find another motherboard with 915P to greater my chances?

I don`t think you need to go that far. The fact that the new board is the same brand of chipset will help you chances.

The only way of guaranteeing 100% success is to get exactly the same board as your old one.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back