New motherboard worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkstuarez

Ok, so, i have a crappy eMachines with 3 PCI slots. My problem is, my geforce fx 5500 pci video card isn't cutting it for my new games, would it be worth it to just buy a new mother board with an AGP or PCI-E slot? If so, i could use some suggestions on some boards.

hard to say

I don't know what your system has, but there are things to consider, If you want better game play, yeah, you'll want a mobo to handle AGP/PCIexpress, etc., but then- will your power supply handle it? RAM? CPU?

Just changing mobos alone involves quite a bit- new installation of operating system, which means you want to back up your current data, and then you start upgrading video cards, almost everything else will probably need at least SOME upgrading/tweaking, so there are lots of things to consider.

Some of the guys around here who know gaming will be more help than me, but I'm sure there'll be more to it than just a mobo change. Good luck!! :knock:

Yea like hewybo said you have to make sure that the motherboard that you get is going to be compatible with your Processor,RAM,etc.

But yes you will definatly have to upgrade to a PCIe or AGP motherboard to play the newer games.

ASUS,MSI,ABIT are your best choices in brands. but there are some other decent brands like GIGABYTE or CHAINTEC.

Good Luck :bounce: :bounce:

decisions

darkstuarez said:
I have to bump this for more responses, i feel this is the only place i can get some help.

Intel which 2.6? What socket type? Your RAM? Is that 1x512 and 1x 256? 184 pin? PC 2100-2700-3200? All of these things help to determine if changing ONLY the mobo will be enough for whatever AGP card you want to buy.

Just buying a mobo with an AGP slot and pugging it in to your case and putting a video card in may not be an improvement. It may not work at all. You have to have an adequate power supply to run your hardware, plus whatever demands the AGP card will add to it.

As I said before, a new motherboard involves a new chipset, which involves a re-install (if you're lucky) of your OS, or, more likely, purchasing a new copy.
I don't think anyone here can help if all you want to do is buy a motherboard. It's just not that simple.

Maybe somebody else here can help- I'm no expert. But if you can give an idea of your budget, and what you expect to end up with, myself, or someone else, will try to help you out. :)

To keep everything stable, i have always done a fresh install of an OS after a mobo swap (unless its the same chipset, maker etc) The problem for you is, all you have is an OEM restore disk, so you might have to buy another copy of windows.

But like hewybo said, we need more info, what type of "intel" do you have?

You could use this nice little utility found here if you dont know.

I think if it comes down to it, i'll just get a job, and save up to build a custom pc or one with ok specs that i can upgrade a little.

10-4

darkstuarez said:
I think if it comes down to it, i'll just get a job, and save up to build a custom pc or one with ok specs that i can upgrade a little.

That's a good idea. Get some money together, get an idea of what you want, what you'd like to have later on, then re-post. There's lotsa guys here that will be glad to help with hardware ideas/suggestions, upgrade-ability, etc.

Now- work like mad for a bit- and Happy Gaming!! :slurp:

The GFX 5500 is too slow, and too little features, for the latest games. Buy a newer & better card.

savings

vnf4ultra said:

you can save $30 on Home OEM at: www.edirectsoftware.com- be sure to follow all instructions, manuals, etc., if this is your first time building. I'm assuming you haven't done this before. If you decide to, and run into problems, post here at TS. People will help. vnf4ultra is right- you can get a much better, much more upgrade worthy system if you put it together yourself. Good luck! :knock:

Personal opinion

It has and continues to be my "opinion" that you might find a prefabed unit cheaper than putting one together yourself. If you look at assemblers like Cyberpower ( which I am currently using, 4 years old ) $800.00 might buy you more than you can piece together yourself. There are others. A good place to find them is magazines, especially Computer Shopper. Most sites list a base model with drop down menus for ALL components, allowing you to choose which PSU, mob, processer, etc. you want and the PRICE.
Of course if ( like me ) it's hard to put $800.00 in one pile at one time a piece at a time and lots of patience will get you what you want. Take the time to study components and make an informed choice when it is time regardless of which way you go. Good luck.

vnf4ultra is like the master of putting a system together.. jus name ur price and he'll suggest the best parts u can get.. heh.. good stuff.. i feel like upgrading again.. :haha:

It has and continues to be my "opinion" that you might find a prefabed unit cheaper than putting one together yourself.

I checked cyberpower before posting, and got a price of $799.00 for basically the same setup, but the $799 isn't including shipping. Also, I recently read that cyberpower is one of the worst rated pc building companies(according to pcworld), so I didn't feel I could recommend them. I then checked alienware(good ratings), and lets just say your not getting much from alienware for $800.
Plus, it's fun to build it yourself, at least to me.

Also, is eDirectSofware legit? Their prices seem too good to be true.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9127.html

lesson learned

It took me exactly ONE (1) "factory" built system to learn and understand that I wanna know what's inside, where it came from, how it was rated (and by who), and where to go for support (and if support is available).

The thought of RMA'ing part or all of a defective system, and waiting on the same people to "repair" it makes me cringe. I say- roll your own, build your own!! (not necessarily in that order) :grinthumb

re: edirectsoftware

vnf4ultra said:
I checked cyberpower before posting, and got a price of $799.00 for basically the same setup, but the $799 isn't including shipping. Also, I recently read that cyberpower is one of the worst rated pc building companies(according to pcworld), so I didn't feel I could recommend them. I then checked alienware(good ratings), and lets just say your not getting much from alienware for $800.
Plus, it's fun to build it yourself, at least to me.

Also, is eDirectSofware legit? Their prices seem too good to be true.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9127.html

I thought the same thing, so I did an online "chat" with'em, asked the appropriate questions, and was satisfied. Bought XP Home from 'em for around $60 for my mom's rig- works fine. It was a Gateway OEM, so you end up with the Gway recovery data installed, but otherwise no problem. Updated, registered, and checked through "Genuine Windows" test fine. I'm gonna get an extra copy or two of Pro from 'em. (They even sent a follow-up email to be sure I was happy with it!) :giddy:

darkstuarez said:
Ok, so, i have a crappy eMachines with 3 PCI slots. My problem is, my geforce fx 5500 pci video card isn't cutting it for my new games, would it be worth it to just buy a new mother board with an AGP or PCI-E slot? If so, i could use some suggestions on some boards.

There are several obstacles with trying to just stick a new mobo in your Emachine. First is some Emachines have proprietary mobos with the holes in different locations So you have a 50/50 shot of the mobo even fitting. The even if it does fit it is a crap shoot if your new video card will line up with an open slot in the back of the case(more of that darn proprietary crap). Lastly Emachines puts just a big enough power supply to run thier systems. Honestly it would be best for you to go with your second plan of just getting a whole new rig.

its not 50/50 .. its more a 10% chance it wont fit right.. even then it'll still fit but may be missing one screw. my 'proprietary' Asus p4sd-la fitted in a TT Swing case jus fine but for some reason, the board had 2 extra holes that doesnt seem to be of any use in the old compaq case nor the new TT swing case. otherwise it fitted fine. as for the back slots not fitting video cards, as long as u align ur board right and what not there shouldnt be any problems unless u have a super ghetto super generic case or motherboard thats made somewhere in the jungle.. hmm

WOW ultra! I think I'm just gonna have to save up my money and buy every single item you just listed, I love this community!
This will be my first time building a pc myself, Good thing i have an uncle who builds custom pcs, and ofcourse, the TS community. If i can sell my dirbike, i'll already have a good 600-700 dollars and i'll only have to work for a week just to get that 800.
Thanks again.

truflip said:
its not 50/50 .. its more a 10% chance it wont fit right.. even then it'll still fit but may be missing one screw. my 'proprietary' Asus p4sd-la fitted in a TT Swing case jus fine but for some reason, the board had 2 extra holes that doesnt seem to be of any use in the old compaq case nor the new TT swing case. otherwise it fitted fine. as for the back slots not fitting video cards, as long as u align ur board right and what not there shouldnt be any problems unless u have a super ghetto super generic case or motherboard thats made somewhere in the jungle.. hmm

Im not talking about a generic case. The impression I got was that he was going to put a non Emachine mobo into an Emachine case. If that wasnt his original intent then I misunderstood.

Foxracer15 said:
Yea like hewybo said you have to make sure that the motherboard that you get is going to be compatible with your Processor,RAM,etc.

But yes you will definatly have to upgrade to a PCIe or AGP motherboard to play the newer games.

ASUS,MSI,ABIT are your best choices in brands. but there are some other decent brands like GIGABYTE or CHAINTEC.

Good Luck :bounce: :bounce:

Wow great advice there "But yes you will definatly have to upgrade to a PCIe or AGP motherboard to play the newer games." NO **** SHERLOCK YOUR ARENT GONNA PLAY BF2 ON HIGH WITH A ISA VIDEO CARD. "Yea like hewybo said you have to make sure that the motherboard that you get is going to be compatible with your Processor,RAM,etc." WOW THX CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, JESUS CHRIST.

Epox is also a good brand, definently stay away from ECS, PCChips and the lower end Foxconn mobos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back