New operating sytems show up on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

escaflownev1

I just reformatted my computer to fix and unrelated problem. Anyways when I start my computer now the os choice pops up and gives me 10seconds to choose an os. The one labeled windows xp home edition is the one works normally. There are however to more options, Previous Operating system and Install/upgrade to windows xp. How do i get rid of these extra options? Please help me out.

Click on Start>Run and type msconfig > OK

Click on the BOOT.INI Tab and copy and paste whatever is in the box.Then some of the experts will tell you what you have to delete.

HTH,
mickzer.

ok here you go

it wont let me copy and past so here is wat i see

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

C:\ = "Previous Operating System on C:"

C:\$Win_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "Windows XP Installation/Upgrade"

OK. Here's where I leave it to the experts, but it looks like a very unusual BOOT.INI to me.

mickzer.

OK Heres mine:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

But my OS is on C: drive. I don't know which one you want to leave so better wait for someone more knowledgeable turns up. BEWARE: If you edit the BOOT.INI the wrong way you could make your computer unbootable.

mickzer.

thanks

thanks for the help. With the info you provided i will be able to remove at least one of the additional operating system thanks, and i was able to reset the correct one as default.

It works like this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5 <-obvious
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS <- your default OS same as the 1st choice below the [operating systems] section
[operating systems]
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn <- default

C:\ = "Previous Operating System on C:" <- choice #2

C:\$Win_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "Windows XP Installation/Upgrade" <- choice #3

so, just delte choice #2 and 3 from the file and you should only see the default OS choice, then rightclick "my computer" -> properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery -> turn off "show list of operating systems"

how do i delete

lipe123 said:
It works like this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5 <-obvious
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS <- your default OS same as the 1st choice below the [operating systems] section
[operating systems]
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn <- default

C:\ = "Previous Operating System on C:" <- choice #2

C:\$Win_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "Windows XP Installation/Upgrade" <- choice #3

so, just delte choice #2 and 3 from the file and you should only see the default OS choice, then rightclick "my computer" -> properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery -> turn off "show list of operating systems"

Ok i already deleted C:\$Win_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT, but how do i delete C:\ = "Previous Operating System on C:" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back