New PC Build HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt-man

have just built a new system from scratch however i am having problems installing an OS.

I have built the PC everything appears to be correct, I have one hard drive assigned to Master and plugged in the master IDE slot, the PC boots fine i have it set to run from Disc so it boots windows set up and goes through this fine, it lets me format the drive and then begins to install windows files.

After doing this it says the pc will reboot and i let this happen however when booting back up if you let it pass the "press any key to boot from CD" it says there is a disk read error and press Ctrl Alt Del to reboot.

If i boot from CD again it just repeats the motions of installing windows again.

PLEASE HELP i have no idea what is wrong, could it be a hard drive problem?!?!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I think it is entirely possible for the HDD to be bad.

Take the HDD back and get another one and see if that helps.

Also please would you fill in your system specs in user profile at the top of any page click on edit profile.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the quick response, I thought it must be the hard drive as everything else seems to be working correctly, just found it strange that it let me format the partition but then doesn't boot up.

I have just been looking at your system specs, nice system.

I notice that you have 1gig of Ram is that in a 1gig stick or 2 512mb sticks?

If it`s in two 512mb sticks try taking one out and see if that helps.

Do you have a floppy drive?

If so download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and let it run for at least seven passes it will tell you if you have a ram problem.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

I have 2 512mb sticks of ram, i will try removing one when i get home tonight and see if that helps. Unfortunately i don't have a floppy drive.

Thanks I will give that a go this evening, is very frustrating, is my first build everything went very smoothly managed to get the whole thing together in 2 hours but things went to pot as soon as i turned it on LOL.

How about taking OUT that CD after the installation is finished and the PC needs to reboot?
As long as your BIOS is set to boot FIRSTfrom CD, then from HD, and you still have a CD in it, it will keep booting from CD. [Doh!]

no it only boots from Cd if you hit a key, you have a 5 sec interval to boot it otherwise it just looks for next device!

Hello RBS.

Windows XP at least asks you to press any key to boot from cd. Then after it reboots the system it asks again to boot from CD whereupon after no key is pressed for about five seconds it carries on with the setup of Windows.

Thereby negating the need to remove the Cd.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

PS Sorry Matt_man I posted this at the same time that you posted yours to RBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back