New pc build problem can some one help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tech Spot members,

I need some help with an issue im having with a new pc I built.

A bit of my background, im a Network Administrator but know alot more then just that feild. I have been building clone computer systems since I was 15 now 24.

Now my problem,

I have recently built a computer system for a friend (I normally do not do). Anyhow It is setup with an Asus board 1gig OCZ memory, 3 Maztor hard drive 2 SATA Raid Mirrow and 3rd just a storage on ATA133. P4 2.8, yadi ydai.. The problem Im having is after the pc has been sitting off for the day and turining it on, the PC loads the bios check, then windows XP loading screen in dos.. then black screen and hangs. If I restart the pc it loads into windows no problem like nothing happened. If I try simulating it again by wating a few minutes.. it doesnt hang. But if I have it off for almost the whole day then trun it on for the first time bam it hangs and again after a fresh reboot all working and i can restart as many times or shutdown and everything is o.k.

Does anyone have a clue where to start looking?

So far I have noticed these things I thought could be the cause.

- Noticed ther SATA cables that came with the MB was not staying in place on the drives and was very slack that the interconnects would not touch and make proper contact.

So I replaced them.

Still same problem.

- Noticed the power suplly was only 330watts and thought with 3 drives and cd rom may be wanting extra juice.. even though im using an on board sound and video.

Replaced it with 400 watt.

Not fixed.. but system a bit faster.

Im not sure where too look now I dont want to spend more on it.. and it seems i can have a defective part but its working??? just not right??

this is the first time ive seen something like this.. usually you get it working or its not.

Sorry for the long post =P

anyone can help!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

As you know heat makes things expand while cold makes them contract.

The problem you are having is caused as a result of the system being cold, hence no problems once it`s up and running.

I suspect either the graphics card, or mobo is faulty. Either a loose component, or a dry solder joint.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

how sure are you that your windows xp cd is fully intact? does the machine hang when running another operation, say the bios or memtest for example?

Its funny because it works and is stable running any app or game! The main board is new. It really is a weired thing. I have had the guy try doing a hibernate to see if it still happens after coming back from hibernation. Really It can be any component in the computer causing it.. I just want to find out which one without having to replace everything. Running softsandra diagnostics the system passes with no problems.

As Howard mentioned, you have a 99.7% chance of it being a heat-related issue. Here is what you can do before replacing components:

1) Re-seat your ram, removing it and replacing and ensuring it snaps firmly into place.

2) Re-seat all peripherals, including the Video Card/Sound/RAID/all other applicable PCI cards. Make sure you screw them in firmly and that you cannot see the contacts of the card once it is plugged in

3) Unplug and re-plug all SATA and IDE cables on the motherboard and the drives.

IF the machine still does it after that, you are looking at most likely a faulty CPU, motherboard, peripheral card or hard drive. I doubt this problem is related to your power supply or optical drives. Let us know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back