New PC keeps turning itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new Dell PC. I'm a complete novice on computer matters but I connected it up following the instructions to the letter. Everything turned on fine and Windows set up started. I put in passwords etc that were asked for and then suddenly the processor just turned itself off. The monitor screen went black but the power light on it was still lit. I tried turning processor back on but it started to 'crank up' for a few seconds and then just turned itself off again, tried several times to turn it on again but no joy. I have it connected to a surge protector and there is plenty of ventilation around the processor, but it was only ever on for 5 minutes at the most so don't think it can be overheating. ANy ideas before I call Dell plese?

The first thing Dell will say (if you tell them) is take it off the surge protector.

Can you boot into Bios (press whatever key is specified in your manual) and stay in there for any length of time?

Have you connected ANY other non-Dell devices via serial/parallel/USB port?

If you were provided with an OS install disk, will it boot up?

CCT said:
The first thing Dell will say (if you tell them) is take it off the surge protector.

Well actually, a bad surge protector will cause this to happen sometimes. Bellydance, the first thing I would try is plugging the computer straigh to the wall socket and seeing if the problem persists. Easy thing to diagnose and rule out first.

Phone Dell Hardware Support (yes, it's in India!) But they can send a local technician to your home to fix it free of charge. All Dell comps come with an automatic 90 hardware warranty (even if you don't purchase any extended warrranty plan.)

I used to work at Dell (it was a software/systems support call centre in Canada) So I know all about this!

' All Dell comps come with an automatic 90 hardware warranty (even if you don't purchase any extended warrranty plan.)'

I am not sure how they react to people who didn't pay the setup fee and opted to set it up themselves. If you didn't pay for that 'service' and they come to the house AND it is a setup poblem you MAY be charged.

CCT, nope! They still show up! But first, the call centre tech will try to solve the problem. If he/she can't then they dispatch a local tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back