New Prescott Pentium 4 Chip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneMonkeyBoy

Hey has anyone heard of this? Apparently Prescott are making a pentium 4 chip which goes up to 4.5ghz and costs just below £200. They were going to call it the pentium 5 but they didnt some reason. They're using new technology to make the chips cheaper and better.
I think northwood normally make chips but prescott are making this one. If anyone knows more about this plz tell me im real interested considering my 3.8 cost me £350.

Yes, Intel will first be releasing the new Prescott CPUs in the older Socket 478 (regular P4s).

After a couple are made, the motherboard companies will have made several new motherboards for the new socket and then Intel will release the brand new CPUs for the brand new socket.

We have some awesome developments this year, hopefully. The new ATI and Nvidia cards, Prescott, DDR II, Intel High Definition Audio and other stuff :D

Originally posted by InsaneMonkeyBoy
Hey has anyone heard of this? Apparently Prescott are making a pentium 4 chip which goes up to 4.5ghz and costs just below £200. They were going to call it the pentium 5 but they didnt some reason. They're using new technology to make the chips cheaper and better.
I think northwood normally make chips but prescott are making this one. If anyone knows more about this plz tell me im real interested considering my 3.8 cost me £350.

Hi,

Being a big, Intel Fan-Boy!... I just thought i'd clarify a few things for you.

Intel are "the" only company to make Pentium 4 chips... simple as.

Although, they do have different processes in which they make them, all of which have different names.

There was 'Willamette', Followed by 'Northwood' which was essentially a 'Willamette' with 512kb cache, and now, there is to be 'Prescott'... which is a Northwood built on a 0.09nm fab process. (Northwood is 0.13 for your information).

At the moment, 3.2/3.4 is the biggest you'll find about (Northwood) and Prescott will take over at the end of the month probably with a clock of 3.4GHz...leading upto like you say 4GHz+.

But its not acurate to say a 4.5+ will be available soon, or cost £xxx... because they'll be £500+ when they first arrive and looking at Intel roadmaps it's not likely it'll be this year.

You actually have a 3.8GHz P4? I'm sceptical to say the very least.

Regards,

G

I dare say, no-one on these forums will ever see a 2.8 Prescott, nor will it really see the light of day..

* 3.8GHz Accelerated Intel Pentium 4 HyperThreading CPU (3.2GHz base clock speed)
* 950MHz Accelerated System Bus from 800MHz base clock speed

------Just to put that to bed.

A 2.8 GHZ Prescott with 133 ( 533 ) FSB is scheduled to be released along side higher speed parts. It's mostly for people with pre-Canterwood/Springdale boards that do not support the 200 ( 800 ) FSB.

greeno
You actually have a 3.8GHz P4? I'm sceptical to say the very least.

Yes actually i do it's achieved through overclocking (cheers for your support greeno) some people know what they're saying. And by the way I know about what you said at the beginning greeno i just typed it in wrong. Prescott are just doing what northwood are doing.

PS: When I said I bought my 3.8 for £350 i didn't mean that. I bought a 3.06 and overclocked it max to 3.733 (3.8)

Lol sorry bout that confusion:confused:

Sry but you really should be saying you have a 3.7GHz p4 ;)

1) 3.733 rounded = 3.7
2) 3.733 is a lot closer to 3.7 then 3.8

:D

http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm
have u seen how powerful this machine is?
It is a good year ahead of anything avaliable in the public sector! 566Mhz RAM - i havent seen that anywhere (yet!) - but RAM Drives? The solid state HDD has been promised for years but i never thought they had got one to work - and then they show us this - i want one! The advertised performance of that machine is INSANE! The prices might be insane - but the specs are also fairly insane
im quite supprised they didnt manage to get the FSB over 1Ghz - but i suppose it doesnt really matter.
now will someone buy me one? please?

Steg

Edited because of language
--Mictlantecuhtli

lol I didn't realise I'd been saying that, I never read what I typed. (*****):blackeye:
That machine is a beast, it makes you think what the 4.0 and the X Mac series will be like! :cool:

Originally posted by InsaneMonkeyBoy
greeno

Yes actually i do it's achieved through overclocking (cheers for your support greeno) some people know what they're saying. And by the way I know about what you said at the beginning greeno i just typed it in wrong. Prescott are just doing what northwood are doing.

PS: When I said I bought my 3.8 for £350 i didn't mean that. I bought a 3.06 and overclocked it max to 3.733 (3.8)

Lol sorry bout that confusion:confused:

I'm not being un-supportive.. "Prescott are just doing what northwood are doing." You say that like Prescott and Northwood are companies, the only point(s) i wanted to make were (quite rightly) Prescott + Northwood are merely names given to manufacturing process for these processors and you cannot buy 3.8GHz chips :]

You've overclocked it, very well... I'm sure you're enjoying the benefits, i wasn't saying it can't be done, they've reached 5GHz at Tom's...so that wasn't my point at all.. I only stated you can't buy..'out-of-the-box' 3.8's :]

End of story, no malice, no arguing, no lack of support or credit where its due on a nice OC... just common facts.

i heard the prescott will have a 30 stage pipeline, talk about efficiency!!!!(or lack of) i cant wait to see what kinda hyperthreading intel is gonna roll out to fill in the extra stages. virtual 3-way?, i know it isnt feasible but hey consumers will believe everything you thell them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back