New Processor and Ram, Wont boot past a certain point (10 seconds or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerBello

Ok...start with the setup...

MCS K7S5A Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2900
200 gig WD hard drive
10 gig seagate hd
Geforce 4 mx 4000
Just a Dvd Burner...cant remember specifics
2 sticks of 256mb pc 133 Sdram

Nothing special...

Now the Problem:

I used to have a different processor...

Today I went out to buy a new processor and some ram...I ended up getting another stick of 256 and the AMD Athlon Xp 2900...

I set it up,Put in the Xp installation disk..and booted,

The system starts up fine,it all works until about 10 seconds or so into it,sometimes more sometimes less,Then it just kind of freezes...the screen will just stay where it is at...and will not respond to any keystrokes.

I spent an hour or two trying to figure it out...then...I took out the new processor and put the old one back in...everything works fine...

What do I need to do to get the system to work with the new processor?

Thanks so much,
Tyler

just a note....great site youve got here...tons of great info :grinthumb

Does your motherboard actually support the new CPU? Check the manufacturer's website.

What CPU did you have before? Are you using the cooler from the older and slower CPU or did you get a new one?

:chef: chef...

Im using the same cooler,and yes the motherboard does support AMD athlon xp apparently...if it didnt...it wouldnt boot at all correct?

Ill try to see if its a heat problem,ill run a house fan on it and see where it gets me.

Oh and EDIT: I had an AMD k7

Problem being here is more than likely you have a 333fsb CPU now this board will not support it .It only supports a cpu up to 266 fsb IF have a barton core it will not work..

Socket A, currently 550 MHz - 1.4+ GHz
Compatible with AMD Duron/Thunderbird series
200 - 266 MHz Processor Bus Compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back