New PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magniitude

OK basically I need to get a new power supply for a dell dimension 2400 that i got so it will accomodate a geforce 5500 OC pci card that im getting. Question:

How much wattage power supply is adaquete? Im thinking 300 - 400 watts
Whats the best brand + best deal (both) for a good long lasting power supply?

Specs: 2.66 ghz p4, 1 x 512 pc-2700 DDR, (soon to be geforce 5500 256 mb OC), 1 CD-R Drive, 1 Floppy drive.

Closer to 400 should be enough power.
I am a firm believer in the established brands,Enermax,Antec , never been let down by either.

There are a number of good quality PSU manufacturors. A few of my favorites are OCZ, Enermax, Antec and TTGI. I'd also recommend that you get at least a 400 watt model, anything more than that is probably overkill, in fact 400 is probably overkill but its good to have the room to grow.

However your biggest issue is probably going to be getting a powersupply that fits in your case. I'm not familiar with the Dimension 2400, but be sure it'll fit a standard PSU before you drop $100 on one. I've had several dell cases that use custom/proprietary PSU's so make sure you double check.

PanicX said:
I'm not familiar with the Dimension 2400, but be sure it'll fit a standard PSU before you drop $100 on one. I've had several dell cases that use custom/proprietary PSU's so make sure you double check.

An excelent point...

I worked on a dell optiplex that used a special P1 connector and i could find no way around it that wouldnt viod the warranty of the PSU (which is a big no no when working on the PCs at school)

Now i think that 400 watts is a bit overkill....but seems to be the market standard now...I use Vantec PSUs without a hitch, yea they are not Enermax or PC Power but i have never had a problem. It really depends on your budget.

My dell 2300, the predecessor to the 2350, and now the 2400, has an atx power supply. An antec sl350 psu fit nicely.

I recently got a thermaltake silent purepower 420w for about $37(shipped) us from newegg, it seems like a decent psu, although it's not silent as it's name would imply.

My primary concern is that if it will fit or not. My budget is about 20-30 dollars will i be able to buy a decent psu around that price. I dont need anything top line or anything, just something cheaper that i can use for a few years then replace then on. And by not so silent how loud would that compared be?

vnf4ultra said:
My dell 2300, the predecessor to the 2350, and now the 2400, has an atx power supply. An antec sl350 psu fit nicely.

Yea i have never had any problem with the dimension line. But the older Optplex towers (im talking before the pIII hit 1ghz) are all properity. (i can never spell that word)

As for your 30 dollar budget... a pretty good one is found here
Hipro does alot of OEM stuff. I think HP/Compaq and Gateway. ANyways, they aint the ines with fancy lights and all, but the numbers aint bad and i used to have one in a compaq, never had a problem.

I'd like to resurrect this thread.

I'm in a similar boat. Dimension 2400, 2.2ghz P4, adding a 2nd hard drive, a PCI 256mb graphics card and an additional 512mb of memory.

I'm looking at this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=541439&CatId=0 but since this is a MicroATX mobo I want to be sure the PSU will fit before I buy.

I'm thinking 450w should be more than enough for anything else I add to this machine. I'm pursuit of the always elusive cheap but powerful and reliable PSU.

BTW, I'm new to all of this PC stuff...31 yr old married new dad studying for my A+.

As for the microATX, you might have to get a smaller size PSU. The only way you could tell for sure is to measure it or look at the detailed specs.

The thermaltake you listed is pretty decent. Is there a reason you are using tigerdirect? It is an ok site, but i bet you could find a better deal at newegg.

Congrats on the A+ cert. :approve:

Well no A+ yet, but I'm working on it.

I did some digging on the Dell site and the Dimension 2400 actually does use an ATX power supply.

I'll check out newegg.com

If I could buy everything else I need in life (get groceries and fill up my car) at newegg.com I would.

Their slogan says it all (Once you know, you Newegg)

Please verify the PSU works in the Dimension 2400?

Hi all-

Just stumbled upon this thread- hope you don't mind someone jumping on?

I have a woman's 2400 here- appears a flaky PSU. I have a new one here- but really need to be 100% positive that the 2400 is, indeed, non-proprietary?

I checked the wiring & it appears identical- would really like to know someone, firsthand, who swapped a standard ATX/PSU & had it run?

Soooo appreciated- she uses an insuline pump & it hooks to a software program on this thing- needs it back asap!

TIA,

Tracy

I did exactly that. My 2400 PSU came out...ATX Thermaltake unit went in. Screwed it down, plugged in connectors, fired right up.

I can't speak for every dimension case or PSU out there, because I'm sure they changed from time to time over the model run, but for my 2400 it was absolutely and indeed a standard ATX PSU and definitely NOT proprietary.

Any other way to doublecheck?

Hi Chris- I just checked the board.

Made in China
P/N 411726100004

Is on the mainboard- between the PCI slots & the IDE ports. Is there any way to match this to yours? Assuming the boards are the same (& also that you are w/the PC in question)?

What has happened is the "primary drive not found" error. It came up previously & seemed to be solved w/a new IDE cable (I also drop a fresh coin battery at the same time)- lasted a few months like that.

Now the woman has gone DSL- & I have to wonder if the extra RAM & USB devices are just too much for what appears to be a failing PSU.

I have a new PSU here- just really want to be sure & not blow the whole rig.

Thanks for your quick reply-

Tracy
PS- Dell diagnostics report hard drive OK.

I have not switched with a PSU inhat exact model,but have done so many times in optiplex desktops.

All you need to do is look at the p1 connector on both and comepare the wiring colors.

Hi Atk-

Yeah- did that. They appear to be the same (except for the white wire on the new PSU- there is NO wire on the Dell for this location- #18). On the 2400 Dell spec sheet (online ) it shows as "no connect".

I know- I'm paranoid- but I like my "ducks in a row" before doing something like this, the first time around.

Tracy

Yeah the 2400 is mine, so I can check it @ home.

If you want my old Dell 250w PSU just shoot me an email and we can work out a shipped price cheap. I think the better money is on an upgrade though.

Hi back Chris-

I agree- an upgrade would be better (though I appreciate the Dell offer)- & I have a 300wt'er here already. It's a Rosewill, dual fan, serial connectors, as well. Overkill here, more than likely, but I have it & got it on a good deal. I've been pleasantly surprised on Rosewill, so far. Picked up a few things from them on newegg & they've all done well.

Yes, please do let me know what you find/see for PN on your 2400? It'll likely be some other unrelated number- who knows? They may change that on every run of boards.

Fingers-crossed,

Tracy

Pin 18 in the ATX spec is for -5v, many computers do not need -5v and it has been removed from the latest ATX spec alltogether...

No harm in having it there though either, if you are really paranoid you can always fix it with a wire cutter ;)

Chris 96 WS6 said:
Yeah the 2400 is mine, so I can check it @ home.

If you want my old Dell 250w PSU just shoot me an email and we can work out a shipped price cheap. I think the better money is on an upgrade though.

So? Did you have a chance to check the mainboard ID?

Thanks!

Closure-

Another person (another forum) corroberated on the 2400. I installed a standard ATX & all appears fine.

Thanks to all of you here who replied,

T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back