New RAM not being recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently was given a new 512mb DDR400 RAM by a friend who stupidly didn't actually check whether it was compatible. I have added it to my own 512mb DDR400 in my Gigabyte motherboard. Individually, both work fine, however when they are both in, the computer still only acknowledges 512mb. I upgraded my BIOS, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for stupid things I have done wrong? Should I have any options involving RAM in the BIOS, because I can't find any.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should add that I tried the various different positions and orders of inserting the RAM, which did not make a difference.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It`s probably just a ram incompatibility issue.

Take a look HERE for ram troubleshooting.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I did check out that thread before I posted here, but seeing as I already had the RAM, so I couldn't buy the same brand and had already installed the RAM without incident with the computer still turning on happily, I wasn't sure if any of the advice there was applicable.

When you say an incompatibility issue, do you mean that the motherboard has an issue with the type of RAM? Would it run with both the RAM chips individually if they were incompatible? The manual seems to say that both the chips are supported.

Thanks for your help

We see this problem all to often, where sticks of ram will run by themselves with no problems, but won`t run when paired with another stick of ram.

A lot depends on how picky a mobo is. That`s why we advocate using ram that is the same brand/size/speed.

Regards Howard :)

Okay, so basically... I'm boned? Oh well, didn't actually cost me anything.

Out of interest, should my BIOS actually have any settings I can adjust to do with the RAM?

Well, I have updated it and explored it fully and can't find any. I was just wondeirng if it were normal for the BIOS not to have any RAM options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back