New Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all

After many posts and much research I have established that the RAM in my system is absolutly pants !!!!

I am a gamer therefore I have decided to buy some new RAM and I have come accross the Crucial Balistix range.

Their tool on the web site recomends a few different types of RAM, one of them being

1GB kit (512MBx2) DDR2 PC2-6400 • 4-4-4-12 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 2.2V • 64Meg x 64

They say that the RAm is guaranteed to work in my machine but the Mobo manual says it will work with DDR2 533 & DDR2 667.MOBO = Gigabyte Quad Royal Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI X16 (GA-8N-SLI)

As you can see the RAm that Balistix recomends is DDR2 800 (400MHZ) is faster than what the Mobo says it will support.

My question is do Balistix epect me to overclock to get it to DDR2 800 but it will run as standard at 667

Or will it run at DDR2 800 as standard because Balisitx know something I dont ?

I will of course check with them before buying but as it is Sunday I thought I would post to see if anyone knows

Cheers

go with the manual.
some third party memory will work faster than the specs on your system, but that's dicey. You can try it, but don't be upset if it doesn't work.

Cheers for the response

I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Why do MOBO mfrs do this ??

My Mobo will support upto 1066FSB - if was making a Mobo I would make it so that the RAm can operate at the same speed ! as the CPU with the right components fitted

:(

in a 1066FSB system, the actual BUS speed is 266MHz. intel CPUs quad-pump the data giving an effective FSB of 1066. the RAM is still DDR (double data rate) which means that it runs an effective speed of twice the system BUS at DDR533

in an 800FSB system the actual BUS speed is 200MHz, and the RAM runs at DDR400

if DDR memory was capable of running at 1066, the actual system BUS would have to be 533, giving an effective CPU FSB of 2132 and a RAM speed of DDR1066. or if such a thing existed, the RAM would have to be QDR (quad data rate) memory to run at 1066MHz with a 266MHz system BUS

i hope this helps explain it. its not the mobo manufacturers fault, it simply the way DDR works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back