New rig owner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders

New owner!!

Well i finally got the Rig i been thinking about!

AMD 2800+@333
MSI nForce2 K7N2-Delta
2X256 Kingston PC-2100@333mhz in dual channal mode
PNY FX-5200 Ultra
XP Home

The thing rocks,,around 8000marks in GLXs
Problem with ethernet,,its really slow,could anyone offer some help?

Thanks all

Which drivers have you used for the onboard NIC ?

There are 4.24 & 3.13 & 2.45 versions available.

3.13 & 2.45 are quite mature so you might want to try those first.

There are older driver revisions which you can find HERE

Hehhehe no offence, but that's the spec of my Linux box!

Sorry no really, I am very happy for you. Try to explore everything that this machine can do you for - multimedia, games, programming, other operating systems. Ask questions on the forums for help on any topic.

Although ACPI eliminates old-fashioned IRQ conflicts, I might look and see if your network card is sharing an IRQ with another device. IRQ sharing with certain devices, certain drivers and certain operating systems can cause erratic behavior - One of those things being a slow network card.

Also, you may want to check if your network is slow or your Internet is slow. These are two different things.

When you say ethernet, I'm assuming you use your network for mostly Internet-type-stuff. This may be your Internet connection and not your network card (or other networking equipment). Try transferring some large files to another computer and see how that goes. You have to keep in mind that your network connection should be about 100x faster than your Internet connection. So even if your network card is being horribly slow for some reason, you should still be miles ahead of your Internet connection.

Also, you could be having Internet problems due to software. Spyware, viruses etc.. May be slowing down Internet Explorer.

Has your network always been slow? Or only on your new box? Also, what do you mean by slow? Slow internet? Slow gaming? File transfer? Everything?
It might be worth checking the set up of your router/switch (if you have on with a shiney web-based set up thingy) or if its an old 10mbps hub it might be worth investing in a 100mbps switch (as cheap as £20).

Before you post again make sure you are running the latest driver release for your onboard NIC. 9 out of 10 problems can be solved with a driver update.

I hope that helps some

Voodoo_God - i understand what you are saying about onboard components, i just dont agree with you :D. The only reason not to use an onboard device is when a add-in card is better/faster/has more features. So NEVER use onboard graphics and only use onboard sound if you want nothing special (eax/hardware mixing/recording and other such stuff), but a add-in NIC is no better than a onboard one. In the case of the 1Gbit NICs found on some P4 motherboards the onboard NICs are considerably faster because they are free of the PCI bus bandwidth limitations.

Steg

If you have not not run Adaware do it now - it might just solve you a problem or 17. It may or may not solve your network problem, but i know it will find something to fix.

gonna go with an add-in NIC,,i got alot of info about my prob,
What i ment about slow was transfer speed would start@375KB/sec,,then drop rite off to like 18 or 20KB/sec.
i have Cable DSL,,my gaming isnt effected by this,,just file "downloads",,

Thanks alot folks
Just a note,,,
This rig is running close to twice as fast as the P4 i had,,:grinthumb

Originally posted by Raiders
gonna go with an add-in NIC,,i got alot of info about my prob,
What i ment about slow was transfer speed would start@375KB/sec,,then drop rite off to like 18 or 20KB/sec.

Thanks alot folks
Just a note,,,
This rig is running close to twice as fast as the P4 i had,,:grinthumb

I certainly don't think this is your network card. I would look elsewhere for the problem.

Have yout tried a bandwidth test? Look up "free bandwidth test" in just about any search engine and you'll find plenty of sites you can test your Internet thoroughput.

Originally posted by Raiders
transfer speed would start@375KB/sec,,then drop rite off to like 18 or 20KB/sec.
grinthumb

Are you sure that your download speed isn't capped by your ISP?

well thanks for all the help,,turns out i needed to optimize my connection,,not sure what got changed but i used "Tune-Up Utilities2004"
Now considering im in the "middle Class" as far as pc's go my rig kicks ***. LOL

Thanks All.

Download speed on a cable modem is usually like 3.2 Mbps. A network card runs at 100Mbps normally. If you have a router you most likely have a 10Mbps WAN Router port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back