New speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnig

Hey everyone Im thinkin of gettin a new high end sound system for my pc any recommendations?

To be honest, I rate home hi-fi systems over PC hi-fi systems any day. I would go to a reputable hi-fi dealer and pick yourself up an amplifer and a set of speakers.

6.1 is inconvenient because you're going to have to set a speaker behind you and most people don't have a desk or a wall right behind them.

Megaworks, works.

Well, its really not much more complex than I said.

You get yourself an amplifier, and plug your speakers and computer into that.

You get at least 2 front speakers and 2 rear, but a subwoofer or something as well will add to it.

This system will cost about the same as a good pc hi-fi system, however the home hi-fi system will sounds much better IMHO.

You can also plug lots of other things into the amp as well, like your DVD player, CD Player, cable TV, etc, and use these same speakers for this. You can make your PC just a channel, as such, on your system. You can even plug your TV into the PC as well, so that the PC is a channel on the TV and also a sound channel on the amp.

Believe me, this kind of system kicks the crap out of PC hi-fi. And it will be a lot more upgradable. You can add better speakers, or a seperate CD or DVD player, or something, as well later on. Its an open system, much like a PC.

Please believe me when I say that a good home hi-fi system will sound a lot better than the PC speakers you will get. And as I've said, its a lot more versitile.

A few years ago, I was all set to spend a pretty penny on a PC hi-fi system. Then a good friend saved me, and steered me towards a reputable hi-fi store. I promise you, it was first class advice and I really do, in all honesty, urge you to do the same.

All you need is a good sound card and good speakers. I, myself, have an awesome surround sound home entertainment system in my living room that I set up, it's really cool. Though, my 5.1 Creative speakers with an Audigy 2 Platinum delivers awesome sound.

You don't need to take extreme measures as to getting home entertainment stuff and hooking it up to the computer. It's more expensive and speakers for computer and such can deliver awesome performance for less buck.

IF you've got the cash, do what Phantasm said.

I will agree with Phant. I used to have my amp hooked up to the PC at school and it was an awesome feeling being on my computer. Now I have that amp and speakers downstairs with my TV and home surround sound, and I have some nice Altec Lansing speakers, but they don't even come close to doing my old setup justice. I would also suggest getting a receiver and bookshelf speakers, or something similar. It will make your PC experience that much better. They can also be taken elsewhere and used again, unlike PC speakers, which are pretty much solely for your comp.

Originally posted by XtR-X

IF you've got the cash, do what Phantasm said.

But that's one of the points I was making - a good amplifier and speakers costs only just a little bit more than a PC hi-fi system like these "5.1 Creative speaker" things. IMHO, these things are a con, when you consider that for just a little bit more (and I mean just a little bit more) you get so much more in return.

I've compared what £250 gets you from the hi-fi store to what £250 gets you in PC sound equipment, and there really is no comparison.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that I was talking about some $2,000 plus system from a hi-fi store. I am not. I am talking about a few hundred $$$ just like these high end PC hi-fi speakers are.

I am not an audiophile but I can get one to come on the forums and explain these things if he is not busy. The point is, if you are getting decent speakers, etc then get something that's worth that money, which IMHO most if not all PC hi-fi systems are not.

If you care about the sound on your PC system enough to get more than just the basic rubbish, and are looking at spending a few hundred $$$ on it, then please do yourself a favour and go to the hi-fi store. Trust me, you will get something worth the money - and just wait till you play a DVD or a game. Believe me, you will notice the difference!

You can't beat a decent home HiFi for sound quality. If you just wan't cheap 5.1 surround that takes up little space, is easy to connect, and sounds OK, rather than fantastic, then PC speakers will do that for you.

Most audiophiles don't listen to music on their PCs, as mp3's suck as far as sound quality goes, especially when listened to on a high definition quality home HiFi setup. Connect your PC to a good HiFi and prepare for a shock. Yes its really that good if you have decent equipment.

klipsch dude

:grinthumb ........it's no contest..and, screw the surround sound thing.........i just line them up. like ducks in a row.............right in front of me.......so, my hair flies back............with the sub, under my feet.........for, :eek:

Some of the more expensive PC hi-fi systems are a brave attempt, but really its more of a wind-up than anything else. The only true way is a home hi-fi system and lets be honest.

I am not an audio nutter. I have friends who are, but I am not. Its just a lesson that I have learned....

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Don't make the mistake of thinking that I was talking about some $2,000 plus system from a hi-fi store. I am not.

I made the mistake. :blackeye:

Yeah, don't go out and spend thousands of $$$ unless you are wanting to do some pretty advanced audio stuff.

And in that case, you will be more of an audio expert than me, and you will not need to post here and ask these questions.

An amp for a home system is on a general level is the same as a "reciever". Recievers are the main unit of a hi-fi system, they are what powers the speakers and recieves the inputs from all your other sources (computer, cd player, dvd player, vcr, cable/sat tv, ect).

You could consider the amplifier to be like the hub that everything is plugged into. It consolidates the connections from the various other devices and then channels their input to the speakers, with various conditions like volume control, special effects, controlling from where the signal comes (i.e. PS2, computer, TV, etc.) Its the center of your sound system into which other peripherals that generate sounds are plugged.

Originally posted by shnig
So what exactly is an ampilfiyer?(im sorry for how basic that question is)

Asking questions is the best way to learn.

Right now, I am learning about some programming stuff I have not done before. As a beginner I am asking some very basic questions of some very knowledgeable people, and they don't patronise me for asking simple questions. They remember being there.

Lol, I'm sorry shnig, but if I were you, stick to computer audio. Home entertainment audio stuff for your computer may be kinda complicated for you.

Its not that complicated, just go to an A/V store and look at the back of a reciever, see what all inputs it has and outputs. Then look around for speakers, do some research on the internet and then go see what is avaiable in your area and go listen to them.

You don't need to know much to toss a decent system together, just recognise you need your reciever and pay attention to how many watts per channel it has and try and find speakers that are in that range. Beyond that its just as simple as running RCA wires to the inputs and speaker wire to your speakers. Its really not rocket science, knowing what your reciever can take in and put out is 90% of knowing what you need to know to get it working.

I had a nice little Peavey Basic 12 bass guitar amp once and I hooked that up to my PC. It was by far the best sound I've ever heard come out of a PC. Especially since you could tweak the high/mid/low's right on the amp. Of course it was one speaker but you wouldnt believe how loud that one speaker can get, not to mention the readings you would get on a seismograph.
All I did was get an adapter (cost like a $2 at walmart).

If you have a guitar or bass guitar amp it is definately worth the few bucks to check out the potential those amps have when hooked up to your PC. If anything its fun to experiment with.

Originally posted by XtR-X
But but but... he doesn't know what an AMP is!!! ;)

But he will know once he asks, and is told.

He will be fine. There's no rocket science to an amplifier and some speakers. Its easy.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
I had a nice little Peavey Basic 12 bass guitar amp once and I hooked that up to my PC.

Reminds me of my friend who hooked up his electric guitar amp to play Counter Strike. Don't be deceived by the sizes of some smaller amps, they can be loud.

Get a good soundcard, HiFi system if you have the cash if you are willing to spend more than US$300. Otherwise get PC speakers like Altec Lansing 641 (approx $160)....stay away from Creative Inspire range, they have punny little bass. I bet a FPS 1800 or 2000 can kick any of the inspire model's *** with ease.

stay away from Creative Inspire range, they have punny little bass.

LOL, yeah right. I have Creative Inspire's and the bass is surly awesome. It shakes my room and my pictures on the wall are going to fall off.

But its not about how LOUD something sounds.

Its not about how much the walls shake, or if the table moves because of the pure power.

Its about the quality of the sound. Its about how it sounds like down even really low.

Sometimes, when I watch star trek or something, and you hear all the mad noises on the bridge, or something... then, you understand. Or if you watch a DVD that's had the audio encoded really well.

Please believe me, people told me this for years and I never listened until someone made me and then it all changed....

Sorry, but PC sound systems (certainly in terms of speakers and so forth) are rotten. I don't know what other way to put it. Believe me, I tried some of these things, and some of them were a brave attempt, but ultimately futile.

You go and buy even a cheap hi-fi system for a few hundred $$$ and you will never need anything ever again.

If anyone is reading this, please listen. Because I didn't for a long time and I wasted a lot of money on PC speaker rubbish even top end things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back