New system assistance appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Well I have come to the point that due to my daughters machine not doing its job, I have to replace my computer and make her a hand me down.

At the moment mine works fine but is a bit slow at video encoding which i am now doing quite a lot of.

So I plan to keep all the internal and external hard drives and the box and all the cooling.

At the moment - A7N8X-E xp 2400 1 gig pc 2700
gforce fx 5900

What I would like is a new mobo. processor, memory and g.card., bearing in mind that the current ones will go to my daughter as they all work together well.

Games are not a priority but processing and many open apps happen a lot.

I am not a numbers freak so the very latest overpriced part is not needed.

To date I have been lucky that everything I have thrown together has worked well, (also with tips from here),

Parts most likely will need to be purchased from DAbs uk as freight to jersey from most other suppliers is too expensive.

I appreciate as usual any help.

video editing... :zzz: i cant quite remember exactly but i believe that intel are better at video editing with the cheaper processors. if you want a great processor for video editing from amd its gonna cost big. I would go with an Intel 3.4ghz at least with HT. but i dono. wait and see what others say :stickout:

Well I have never built a Pentium machine as they were always more expensive. I am really hoping someone can say Ive just done this and it works a treat,Thanks Gibbocool, Im pricing up the parts.

Just had good/bad luck in the past that things worked together well.

Video editing machines should have a dual core CPU or a CPU with hyperthreading since many video editing software packages are geared for this type of setup. Since you like AMD then look at a 939 socket mobo and a 3800 X2 or 4200 X2 dual core CPU. The second thing you'll want is lots of RAM. I'd get ate least 2GB in 2 x 1024MB DIMMS od PC3200DDR400 RAM. Doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest stuff.

No 3800X2 at Dabbs but here is teh 4200X2 http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/processors/productView.htm?quicklinx=3R2R

2GB of Corsair http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/memoryandaccessories/productView.htm?quicklinx=3PCW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back