New system automatically quits big programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eiko Tec

I just built this computer and everything is completely fine except a few things when ever i open a 3d game i can play for about 2-3 minutes then the game shuts off and it says nothing it just goes back to the desk top also my computer will randomly shut off about umm 5 times a day randomly when im not doing anything to crazy.

Things I have tried:
updated bios
tried another power supply
tried 3 different graphics cards
tried another processor
tried another cd-rom drive
re-installed windows and just a game and the drivers needed to run the mother board and graphics card and the game (battlefield 1942) still quit after a few minutes

Thinking It could possibly be maybe:

could the hard drive be run down to were it can't access important files at the time it needs them?

could the motherboard (ABIT V17) I just bot be a piece of crap?

could there be anything wrong with the ram?

i think those 3 or the only things I haven't swapped out of this computer to try to fix the problem? anyone know whats up or has a good educated guess as to what it could be, If so thank you very much :)?

PS: game should'nt have a problem running with this system
2.0 ghz P4
1 GB Ram
256 MB Graphics Card
i just don't get it

hello and welcome to Techspot.

First of all download memtest86+ you can either use the floppy version or there is an iso version that you can put on cd.

Let it run untlill it has done at least seven passes and see if it comes up with any errors.

http://www.memtest.org/

Also you say that your computer just shuts off several times a day do you mean restarts?

If you right click on my computer select properties then the advanced tab then click on settings where it says startup and recovery uncheck the box that says automatically restart also set the write debugging information to none.

Now when your system crashes you should get a blue screen telling you what caused the error.

Look to see if any drivers are identified in the stop message.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thank you much ill try doing all of them :) hopfully this can shine some light on whats happening

wow I got 867 errors on the first pass so im asumming the ram i bot is messed up or is it something more along the lines of motherboard or even bios settings?

Thank You for the tip

I went to sleep when it was running and it did around 15 passes and found a little over 1500 errors.

I would say that ram is the problem then.

If your 1gig of ram is in two 512mb sticks try taking one stick out rerun memtest if you still get errors swap for the other stick and run memtest again if you still get errors take them both back. If your ram is a 1gig stick then take it back.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

thank you so much :) props to your qwick problem solvings skills, very impressive :)thank you so much :) props to your quick problem solving skills, very impressive :)

even though its dimm ram can you run windows with just one? I herd your suppose to use two

2 sticks of 512

Well it looks like everything checks out when its alown guess my sticks arn't compadible. But my computer runs fine with just one

tested:
slot 1 with stick 1 (good)
slot 1 with stick 2 (good)
slot 2 with stick 1 (good)
slot 2 with stick 2 (good)
slot 1 with stick 1 and slot 2 with stick 2 (errors)
slot 1 with stick 2 and slot 2 with stick 1 (errors)

although i do wounder weather for some reason it could be my mother board not being able to handle the 2 I think ill just buy a twin pack later that way they are tested together.

wow what a problem I had tryed like everything else and probly dedicated a whole 2 days to trying to get this computer up ha ha ha i think im still going to mess around a little in the bios like taking the mhz down on the ram see if that changes anything alothough it should be able to handle the 400mhz

Oh well at least you now know what the problem was.

If you get some new ram may I suggest you get good stuff like Kingston or Corsair for example.

Good luck and Regards Howard :grinthumb

wow for some reason they run fine and test fine on 333mhz. But both the mother board and the ram are suppost to support 400mhz. ha ha ha wow well im a happy camper although I can't imagen the reason behind it. YAY who all it took was a simple bios tweak.

I just had to replace my motherboard and I bought an Abit V17. Started having the exact same symptoms as you've described so I started searching for help. I found this article and sure enough.....changing my memory speed to 333 fixed it. I do have some very intermittent problems but only early on in a game, then seems to be fine. I'm wondering if you ever tried new memory and what's the downfall to leaving it at 333? Any help is appreciated.

no I never switched it with any other sticks I've been pretty happy with what I got. I'm not positive but i think the mhz is the speed the memory deals with the data but i could be wrong I haven't put much research into it.

maybe this post is a bit old but i'm having those problems too and did a bios reset
once, could that be the problem?

i also need to know how to update the bios, i have an MSI motherboard and i needed
to flash the bios but it said that it could be dangerous so i kinda need to know
if i should go ahead and just flash it...

thanks anyway.

Memory Timing Critical

Guys,

It's critical that the memory timing setting are set correctly in the BIOS. The settings depend on what BIOS is on your motherboard (AMI, Phoenix, Award) and what memory you have installed. Find the timing specs for the memory modules you're using and set them accordingly in the BIOS. If you need help with a specific step in this process, please explain what part you're not sure about and someone (or me) will walk you through it.

The timing on the 1st module @200mhz is 2.5-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
on the 2nd module its @200mhz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

I have seen something in the bios about timing those things but i didn't know what
had to be changed.

I tried the 333mhz thingy and it seems to work but just to make sure, how can
put the timing so it will be equal.

btw: the 2nd module also has:
@166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
everything else is exactly the same.

You need to get 2 identical sticks of RAM to avoid those problems. The ones you have are not compatible. Each one on its own is fine. Try and sell them, or maybe your local PC-shop will swap them against a matched/identical pair.

Listen to Realblackstuff...

You should have matched pairs of RAM mudules. I have run unmatched pairs in the past, but I just got lucky. When the timings of two RAM modules are not identical, theoretically the faster of the two will clock down to match the slower; however, each chipset/mobo is different and may be more or less sensitive to this. In some cases, it may njot work at all. Even if it did work, it is not conducive to a stable PC.

well i actually have had no problems since i set it to 333mhz, even when i run
WoW for a very long time :angel:.

I also have 2 different ram modules in my older computer and it worked fine from
the day i put it in.

I don't think its too bad when you put in 2 different ones but having 2 identical
is always better ofcourse :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back