New system gave up on me. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

Hi i bought a new computer system recently for gaming, last month i think and it stopped working on me. Before i upgraded the system, the computer worked for years without breaking in its original e-machines configuration, but a month after i upgrade most of the parts, it breaks!

Systemspecs:
foxcon amd mobo
7600 gs
amd athlon 3700+
500w power supply
100gb and 20gb harddrives
1gb ram
windows xp

Last night the computer kept on stuttering on me, the fan kept on stopping and going again which would freeze my computer and i had to reboot or it would get out of being stuck and i could resume. After coming home i went to go boot up my computer and realized it would not work, the power button did nothing, nothing lights up nothing seems to work, any idea's?

My guess is that the power supply is messed up. I have heard that the e-machine power supplies are cheap and tend to break, sometimes bringing down the motherboard.

--Daniel L

daniel161 said:
My guess is that the power supply is messed up. I have heard that the e-machine power supplies are cheap and tend to break, sometimes bringing down the motherboard.

--Daniel L

actualy the power supply is another brand which the name i cannot remember, but i bought that years ago which worked fine with my old system

Could it still have failed? Do you have a tester? If it checks out ok, then my next guess is that it is your Mother board, because the switch goes directly into it. And the power gets switched from that.

--Daniel L

Try plugging the PSU into a system you know works and see if it will turn on. If not, that's your problem. If you have another PSU, you can also try plugging it into the "broken" computer to see if that fixes it.

If you were having fan problems, you may have fried your CPU. If you have experience putting PCs together and handling parts, you can try taking the processor out of the socket and see if the machine will turn on then. I had something similar happen to me last year and I thought it was the PSU at first, but it turned out I burned out my chip.

Just try isolating different parts to see what the problem is. Start with the most obvious (PSU, CPU) and if that doesn't find the problem, keep moving (RAM, Mainboard, etc.)

If you're not very experienced, just take it to a repair shop, no sense in breaking it on accident from mishandling parts or static build-up.

That might not be smart, plugging a bad PSU into a good PC, I can see about 3 endings to this....

hmm, indeed. Just plug a good PSU in your new pc. What I think happened is that your old PSU probably isn't 'strong' enough to keep up with your new computer, but I don't really know because I have no idea what type and from what brand it is. So if you know, could you post it?

thanks for all the help, actualy a friend of mine told me that even though the CPU was fried the mobo would still try to boot so the conclusion he came to and many of you came to is its either the mobo that got fried or the psu, i have no way of testing the psu and sorry i didnt find out the brand, but i will try your suggestions and get back to you.

Ok it seems like its not the processor, i reseated that and tried to boot up and nothing happend still. I dont have a psu with a 20+4 pin + another 4pin for the mobo so i might have to go out and buy one which i think will solve the problem, any idea's?

i found out what my psu is, its a: ULTRA V SERIES 500w
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4587977?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back