New user probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Hello Techspot. My machine is being stupid again. When I try to make a new user everything seems normal. The new name appears at start up for me to click, but when I click it i get an error message that says:

Explorer.exe - Application error

then nothing loads up. I cannot create any users, I don't know why. Is there a way to fix this?

By reboot you mean restart or reformat? Do you think I should do an Xp-Repair from the Installation CD? Or is there an easier way?

sellmesanity said:
By reboot you mean restart or reformat? Do you think I should do an Xp-Repair from the Installation CD? Or is there an easier way?
shutdown your system for 20 seconds, reboot and see if you have the same issue and let me know

Try the following to narrow the problem down a little:

- Login as another user (does it work?)
- Once logged in, rename the profile to something random (username-old)
- Restart the PC and try logging in as the user with the problem
- At start screen, press ctrl+alt+del twice and try logging in after that
- Delete the user account and re-create the account.

Sounds to me like a buggy profile, but you cant be sure. If you can login as someone else without receiving the error, chances are ntuser.dat is corrupt in the users profile. In that case, rename the profile and login as the user again. This will create a fresh profile.

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

smore9648 said:
shutdown your system for 20 seconds, reboot and see if you have the same issue and let me know

This does not work. It is not the user either, cause anytime i create a new user it doesn't log in. It always has the same error message.

Can you login as a known good user? Because if you can, all signs point to user profile. But if you are receiving the error on known good user accounts it could be hardware\software related.

Did you try the some or all of the steps above? I have been in similar positions a number of times. Renaming the profile is a good way to test.

Also can u explain to us how you are creating the user accounts? There is not much to it I know, but just to clarify further.

Cheers :grinthumb

I can only login as the user I created when I first built XP. A long time ago I created a Guest account and disabled it. For some reason I think that my virus scanner has something to do with this (Kaspersky.) I duno. I create users using the user account control panel then Create a New Account.

Kaspersky wouldn't block a user from logging on, especially if they are local administrator. Have you tried some or all of the troubleshooting steps I posted earlier?

I am just going to try to repair the XP installation, just wanted to see if you guys knew an easier way. Thanks anyway, I will report back soon! And HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back