Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

So at the moment i got a
3.0g amd fsb 333mhz
9600pro
1g ram (pc 2700)
120g hdd
250watt psu

if i were to upgrade me psu and me graphics card to say a x800xt and a 400 to 600 watt power supply (dependin on money issue) will there be ne thing in there at the moment that will bottleneck me system, i know me rams a bit slow.

Do you have an AGP or a PCIe slot for your vid card? And have you overclocked your cpu? Stock AMD's do run that fast.

Probably he has an Athlon XP 3000+ with 333 MHZ FSB... probably not.

You should download EVEREST HOME to tell us your system specs correctly.

You can get a cheap, quality PSU for under $50. The first brand that comes to my mind is FSP Group, but you can consider Antec, Enermax, OCZ, etc.

Get a new 7900GS if your budget permits, or get a 256-bit radeon of some sort for around 100$.

9600 Pro's only came in AGP, so I think it's safe to assume he has an AGP slot.

You'll definately want a new PSU for going to a beefier 3d card. I'd also factor in case fans if you don't have good case cooling/ventilation as beefier cards also generate a lot of heat that will just stagnate and cause temperature issues if you dont already have good case cooling.

As far as bottlenecks, it's impossible to determine without first knowing what kinds of games you play.

Example- if you play FS-X or Sims2, you'll be CPU/memory bound and a new X800XT will be twiddling it's thumbs maybe 20% of it's capabilities. If you try to play games like Doom3 or Oblivion at 1280x1024, you're X800XT will be breaking a major sweat.

What games? Settings? Resolutions? Do you want AA/AF? These things will better determine where any possible bottlenecks may lie.

Sharkfood said:
9600 Pro's only came in AGP, so I think it's safe to assume he has an AGP slot.

You'll definately want a new PSU for going to a beefier 3d card. I'd also factor in case fans if you don't have good case cooling/ventilation as beefier cards also generate a lot of heat that will just stagnate and cause temperature issues if you dont already have good case cooling.

As far as bottlenecks, it's impossible to determine without first knowing what kinds of games you play.

Example- if you play FS-X or Sims2, you'll be CPU/memory bound and a new X800XT will be twiddling it's thumbs maybe 20% of it's capabilities. If you try to play games like Doom3 or Oblivion at 1280x1024, you're X800XT will be breaking a major sweat.

What games? Settings? Resolutions? Do you want AA/AF? These things will better determine where any possible bottlenecks may lie.

Yeah, AGP slot, 1 case fan (its a small case) free pci slot under the agp slot so all that double slot venting thing will fit. like playin loads of different games (mainly first person shoot em ups tho, so yeh like doom 3 and that) i also like the eye candy...so max settins as possible if u no wot i mean.

oh and my moniter res is only 1024x768, not bothered about that at the moment tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back