New Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythe1303

Hey, I'm looking to get a new AGP video card because what I have is really limiting me, as I can't play the latest games / a lot of games on high detail.

What I currently have
- AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2083MHz)
- ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
- 512MB DDR

- Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-LA
- PSU: Bestec ATX-250-12Z REV, 250W +12V 14A

I was thinking of getting another 512MB, along with the video card. But I may need to get a new PSU as well, correct?
Also, budget I'm not too concerned about, just not anything too expensive.

Thanks for any help, as I am not too good at this.

you could get one of the geforce agp cards, they are kinda pricey because no one really buys them, more ram is always good too. I'm not sure where to shop for you since you live in NZ

Scythe1303 said:
I was thinking of getting another 512MB, along with the video card. But I may need to get a new PSU as well, correct?
Also, budget I'm not too concerned about, just not anything too expensive.

For us to help you need to provide a more specific price limit.

Ural_TuRK said:
For us to help you need to provide a more specific price limit.

Well, I guess anything under $350 USD would be fine. But having a look at a few cards, it looks like I probably will have to get a new PSU as well if I want a decent card.

Yep thats tru 250 watt aint much at all for a $350USD card, you should have at least 450 watts for PSU 4 the current generation of graphic cards, will your limit of $350USD include the PSU aswell? and can you tell me what 350USD would equal to in the new zealend or australian dollar? (me assuming the new zealend and australian dollar are similar)

$350 USD is about equal to $470 NZD. Having a look on Newegg however, I think that somewhere between $200-$300 is suffice, as there's not really anything else.
A few cards I looked at were X800SE, 7800GS and the X1950PRO. Any suggestions? Thanks.

hmmm Well the x1950PRO would kill all them other graphics cards u mentioned, however it will also need a much better PSU, an also since you do want to play the latest games with high quality, I think a mobo switch will be neccassery, since your mobo only supports agp, in my personal opinion spendin $470 on an agp card isnt worth it, but if you really dont want to switch or runnin low on cash or sumfin then Id suggest you get something like the 7800GS as you mentioned, or what about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161033
Dont get the X800SE btw, although it a high end card it doesnt support much of latest game requirment features, and being an older high end card it now becomes a midrange card similar to x1600 series but without the features.
And of course if you have no intention to change your motherboard now or in the long run then by all means get the X1950PRO, it is probly the fastest agp graphic card out there, and probly will stay that way, unless of course Nvidia or ATI release new agp cards in there next generation of products.

Scythe1303,
is this an Emachines computer by chance? Upgrade that Bestec power supply before you get your new video card please

Yes, upgrade the PSU, and then you might be able to afford a X1950XT, which is the absolute best AGP card out there by far.

Thanks for the help, but I've decided on building my first new computer. But if I do change my mind (which is unlikely), I will most likely just grab the x1950PRO and a new PSU.

And nope, it's not Emachines, it's a Compaq computer.

Thanks again.

Scythe1303, Get a PSU that is 700W or more and also invest in the geforce 8800 GTX cards by nvidia because they are much much better than any of ATI's cards. The clock speed on the ATI radeon x1950pro is running at 650MHz or something but the card lacks the support for directx 10 (according to newegg.com), and the ATI cards memory clock is only running at 1000 MHz instead of the GeForce 8800 GTX's 2000MHz. The Geforce 8800 also has 128 steam processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back