New virus/bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I was checking my email over at homtmail, and I click one of the spam emails, so I can block it. As soon as the page loads the Windows XP blue screen of death comes on and I restart. I did a virus scan yesterday, with the latest definitions and windows updates.

I can't tell who exactly sent it, but the file is 1KB in size, and the name of the sender is "lola" and the subject was "Fw: Re:Fw:mon ey solutions"

Does anyone have any similar occurances?

First thing to know is that you will not be able to properly block the spam that arrives in your mailbox. The spammers use software to use fake addresses that are placed in the Header. Each day, the spammer simply changes the address, maybe by only one letter or number. If you can block from the Header, you can make headwave, otherwise, you're wasting your time blocking at Hotmail.

I do not think you have a virus, merely consequential that the blue screen hit at the same time. I checked at Symantec and the closest thing they have is vsb.lola, which is not the same as you had.

As for the subject, the "m oney" will come through the next time as "mo ney" and the next as "m0ney". This is the spammers way of making certain you cannot block from the subject line.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Steverz
First thing to know is that you will not be able to properly block the spam that arrives in your mailbox. The spammers use software to use fake addresses that are placed in the Header. Each day, the spammer simply changes the address, maybe by only one letter or number. If you can block from the Header, you can make headwave, otherwise, you're wasting your time blocking at Hotmail.

I know that people can change anything in an email address, I used to have one of those on my website just to play pranks on friends. But, it's not completely useless blocking, because the perpatrators use the repeat ones every once in a while. So, I'm blocking for the long run.

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back