New x1600 pro 512mb card lags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoknOvrclk

I just installed a brand spankin new x1600 pro 512mb card, and I gotta tell ya, I'm a little disappointed. I had an evga geforce 5500 256mb card installed and overclocked to 306/475, and I thought having the new card even without being over clocked would be an improvement with it 500/400 and
512mb of memory. I have all the latest relavent drivers from ati and dx, but it still sucks! well,not totally. 1. Load times are shorter. 2. When playing a game,and standing still, everything has much much greater detail, but I can't move smoothly. the 5500 , although slightly less detailed, moved extremely smooth through games, but this one stops for a split second every 3 or 4 seconds, it's not fluid at all. any ideas?:confused:

500/400 (800 effective due to the DDR2) am I wrong in thinnking this?

It wouldn't be the Proc. (Pentium 4 2.8GHz @ 3.4 GHz). Although, have you tried reverting back to the drivers that came with the card? Also, what games do you play?

For some reason I can't let myself think it's the processor, I mean granted it only started out with a 533mhz fsb, now sitting at exactly 666:evil: (btw, that's 3.5G, up from the stock 2.8) I think it's ok for what I play (for some reason I can't peel myself away from Roller Coaster Tyoon 3....I can ride the coasters I build:approve: ). As far as RAM goes, it's ony a 1G of ultra with a heat spreader (the board holds 4G)It was doing fine with the geforce, it only after that new video card.... I gotta think it's drivers, or some setting that should've been changed. Keep in mind I'm relativly new and I'm still a bit fuzzy on really knowing about what certain setting might do if..........over tweaked(for lack of a better term).

RoknOvrclk said:
For some reason I can't let myself think it's the processor, I mean granted it only started out with a 533mhz fsb, now sitting at exactly 666:evil: (btw, that's 3.5G, up from the stock 2.8) I think it's ok for what I play (for some reason I can't peel myself away from Roller Coaster Tyoon 3....I can ride the coasters I build:approve: ). As far as RAM goes, it's ony a 1G of ultra with a heat spreader (the board holds 4G)It was doing fine with the geforce, it only after that new video card.... I gotta think it's drivers, or some setting that should've been changed. Keep in mind I'm relativly new and I'm still a bit fuzzy on really knowing about what certain setting might do if..........over tweaked(for lack of a better term).

Try older drivers, I have a slight problem with the newest Catalyst drivers as well.

Have you tried turning down some of the in-game graphic settings? You will lose some eye candy in exchange for higher fps.

Well, no. I have not turned the graphic settings down, I just kinda assumed that if I let it "auto detect" my settings it should be pretty close to what my hardware can do anywayin a balanced sense quality/performance)..no? the settings I was actually wondering about were BIOS settings (AGP Graphics Aperature Size in particular). Currently it's set at 256, but I'd be willing to change it if I thought it might help, I just don't know what it is/does. Also thanks for the tip on the older drivers, I probably try that now actually. Also, have your heard anything about the omega drivers? Are there omega drivers for these cards?
thanks for the help, it's really appreciated!

It might be ur PSU then. What's the wattage and brand, and what are the amps on the +12V rails? Open up ur case and post a screenshot of the sticker on the PSU or post the above details urself if ur able to read the data off of it.

The psu is a 550W diablo Black Chrome, with 20A 12 volt rails. I know the brand is a little lackluster, but hey I had to skimp somewhere on the initial build, I'm finding out that that isn't the place to skimp...

Do you think it would really make that much of a difference? I mean I know this card is power hungry (it comes with an auxillary power connector, aside from getting power through the slot like my 5500 did).You think if maybe I did away with my lights and couple fans(going water cooled this week, YEY!!) it might help? I mean anything cheaper than buying another PSU, I'm kinda on a tight budget here. If you do think that's the issue, then I'll have a slightly used Diablo 550W psu for sale.....and a coolermaster hyper 48 if anybody wants!

I think it is the PSU, especially so since u have OC'd ur CPU frequency and FSB. That would consume more power. The X1600PRO is a fairly power-hungry card as u too have noticed. BTW, have u tried reverting to the older drivers yet?

Have you tried installing the latest agp driver for your motherboard? If not, and you have a via chipset, I would suggest uninstalling the video card drivers first, installing the new agp driver, then reinstalling the video card drivers. I say that because on my board, if I installed the AGP driver with the video drivers installed, it caused all sorts of problems.

Actually yes I have went back to the drivers that came on the disk with the card....Age of Empires III still won't load, but RCT3 runs a *bit* smoother while riding a ride...in a park. 3Dmark05 scores are actually a bit better now too, I actually broke 6000, 6535 to be exact. This seems a bit low to me for some reason, it actually tests higer when only running the game benchmarks, and not the full load of tests,but oh well. It's a work in progress.
As for the maze of driver uninstalls and installs...I don't have via chipsets, I have intel (asus p5p800-se...I'm pretty sure it's 856...or is it 865) chipset. Could it still cause a problem being installed in the wrong order?

Well, from your post I dont think you installed the latest AGP driver from your motherboard manufacturer. It won't be on the driver cd for the video card, you need to download it from the motherboard manufacturers web site.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5P800 SE

Download the newest chipset drivers (from what I can tell I think ASUS uses an update program instead of compiling all the newest drivers in a single downloadable file, poke around, if you cant figure it out email them)

Uninstall the catalyst drivers

Install the chipset drivers

Reinstall the catalyst drivers

Then let me know how it performs

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction KFX, I haven't had a chance to get to asus' site because my machine is in pieces (I'm on campus right now...GRRRRRR), going water cooled and a few other mods. However, as soon as it gets finished I will definatly hop over there and get those drivers, I always forget about the site and the update utiliy doesn't tell me anything is new....ever. BTW, how far have these cards been OC'd? Anyone heard anything?

emphasis on 512mb

you did not give us the full specs of the video card but what is the bandwidth of the memory bus/ is it 256-bit or 512 bit or 128 bit?

I have the x1600 and i'm getting the same thing. The card just sux

I just installed it tonight, with a 500w psu... .. I'm sorry, but this card is a heaping POS......

The first thing i booted up after a fresh windows re-install, was Counter Strike. I couldn't believe my eyes, when i wasn't getting 100fps on a game engine that is almost a decade old !!! i was getting the same FPS with 100 almost constant with a 128mb mad dog NVIDIA card before this one!!!... running at least 150mhz or slower core clock speed and allot less memory speed. Thats just unacceptable for a card that i payed a good chunk for. And not to mention 512mb. All things considered counter strike does like the CPU allot, but still i shouldn't be having a lesser play experience from a faster card. I should have no lag at all...

I also booted up FEAR .. and even though the textures looked great at a stand-still or a five second walk. I would get tons and tons of lag and choking!!.. This card can pull off high resolutions, but i'm not sure i can see anything helping the lag. Maybe it wouldn't be noticed with a rig like... ic7-g.. overclocked 4.0ghz, 4gb ram and maybe a 500+ psu and this crap card....... but thats just stupid to contemplate..

another gripe i had.. is that unless you just install the main drivers, the ATI catalyst seems to lag my entire system. I had to uninstall it, and just keep the main drivers to make things more managable. If i could i would break the thing in half and feed it to the scrap heep. I might be getting a bit hasty, and knocking ATI too much, they do make good producst. But this one sux

I'm bringing this card back as soon as i can. ... and i'm sticking with Nvidia from now on, regardless if this is a slightly better than budget card.. ??!!!

7800gs is the only option for best AGP...... I'm thinking about upgrading to PCI-E now after all of this...

Well the X1600PRO is not a crap card. There are several reasons u might have these problems. You might have to update ur mobo's chipset drivers. Or ur new PSU might be a crappy one that cannot output enough power to the card. Or u might have not connected the 4-pin Molex connector properly to the card. Or ur might have a slow processor that is bottlenecking the card.
The list just goes on and on. So in order to get to the core of ur problem, u need to rule out these reasons one by one.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Well the X1600PRO is not a crap card. There are several reasons u might have these problems. You might have to update ur mobo's chipset drivers. Or ur new PSU might be a crappy one that cannot output enough power to the card. Or u might have not connected the 4-pin Molex connector properly to the card. Or ur might have a slow processor that is bottlenecking the card.
The list just goes on and on. So in order to get to the core of ur problem, u need to rule out these reasons one by one.

I'll take these things into concideration and run a few tests... I wont rule out the card completely yet, but i'm still dissappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back