New XP home install takes 107 gig of my 250gig hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my first post on this site, after a couple of years not building any pc's i decided to upgrade to an Athlon 64, anyways the hard drive i recieved ( i bought online ) was already formatted ( is that how they come now ?) and when i installed win xp home, i checked the size of it on the disc and found it was taking up 107 gig of my 250 gig hard drive i know windows is big but thats ridiculous, has anyone any ideas ? i'm doing my nut here :hotbounce i've reformatted and reinstalled twice.

check to see that you are not just reformatting a pre existing partition because it will still only format in that peramiter. Delete all partitions and make 1 partition that takes up the whole disk.

But u say that windows xp is taking up over 100 gigs of space. be sure your copy of windows is legal.

Hi wotrop, thx for the quick reply, yeah it only has the one partition of i think about 230 something gig and my xp is a legal copy, would u reckon its a hardware rather than software prob, i want to take the hard drive to the state its in before it was formatted, years ago i made a 98se install cd ( rather than floppy ) is it fdisc you use to do that i've forgot ? or does anyone have any other ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back