New York follows California in mandating zero-emission vehicles by 2035

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? New York is stepping up efforts to transition to zero-emission vehicles. Building on similar legislation signed last year, New York Governor Kathy Hochul has directed the State Department of Environmental Conservation to take regulatory action that will require all new passenger cars, pickup trucks and SUVs sold in the state to be zero emissions by 2035.

Just last month, California announced it would be banning the sale of all new gasoline-powered vehicles in 2035. Finalizing that regulation actually paved the way for New York to do the same as federal regulations required the Golden State be first to do so.

New York is taking a staggered approach to help reach its goal. The state will require that 35 percent of all new light-duty vehicle sales be zero-emission vehicles by model year 2026. The requirement will increase to 68 percent by 2030 before crossing the finish line in 2035.

Furthermore, all new school buses must be zero emissions by 2027 and the entire fleet must follow suit by 2035.

The state will also implement new pollutant standards for model year 2026 through model year 2034 passenger cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty vehicles with gas-burning engine.

New York is also providing an incentive to buy zero-emission vehicles. The Drive Clean rebate program provides up to $2,000 off the price of a vehicle and can be combined with the $7,500 federal tax rebate for a total of up to $9,500 in savings. To date, the Drive Clean rebate program has paid out more than $92 million to residents in all 62 counties in the state of New York.

Regulating the sale of gas vehicles is only part of the equation as the state will need to have the proper charging infrastructure in place to support an all-electric future. Last week, the New York Power Authority installed its 100th high-speed charger as part of its EVolve NY statewide network. While a step in the right direction, there's still a lot of work that needs to be done infrastructure-wise.

Image credit: Andrew Roberts

Permalink to story.

Look, I think electric vehicles are cool but they are far from universally practical. If it wasn't for the grid problem in California, they could get away with it. However, in New York, there isn't enough off street parking for personal chargers and if people turn gas stations into charging stations, the long time it takes for charging will cause too much congestion at "pumps."

Many people can get away with electric vehicles and for others, they're an expensive toy. But until we get an absolute revolution in battery tech, not a few percentage points a year, battery electric vehicles will never replace chemical ICE vehicles.

I WISH this was a realistic goal, but it's far more practical to invest in public transportation so people don't need to use cars than just replace ICE with electric.

I live in Pittsburgh and I often take a bus down town rather drive because 1)don't have to deal with traffic and 2) don't have to deal with parking. Also, the bus line comes past my house every 15 minutes

Look, I think electric vehicles are cool but they are far from universally practical. If it wasn't for the grid problem in California, they could get away with it. However, in New York, there isn't enough off street parking for personal chargers and if people turn gas stations into charging stations, the long time it takes for charging will cause too much congestion at "pumps."

Many people can get away with electric vehicles and for others, they're an expensive toy. But until we get an absolute revolution in battery tech, not a few percentage points a year, battery electric vehicles will never replace chemical ICE vehicles.

I WISH this was a realistic goal, but it's far more practical to invest in public transportation so people don't need to use cars than just replace ICE with electric.

I live in Pittsburgh and I often take a bus down town rather drive because 1)don't have to deal with traffic and 2) don't have to deal with parking. Also, the bus line comes past my house every 15 minutes

EV batteries can lose up to 40+% of their charge in cold climates. Sounds like a wonderful place to enforce the EV sales only by 2035.

I hear all the "planned" charging stations that Biden wants to get built kind of fell through and there will not be enough built without help from the "private sector" to supply the EV demand by 2035.

I hear the US will need to increase the electricity output that it currently does, by upwards of an additional 35% by 2035 and by 75% by 2050 to be able to accommodate all the extra electric vehicles that will be on the roads by then.

I'm not sure what kind stable electric grid we have in the US, but if CA is any kind of indication right now with how they're asking folks to refrain from charging their cars during "peak" hours.....we're F'ed.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess we just wait and see.

I guess if the lithium mining emissions aren't in the US, they're 0 emission, right?
But of course. Just like how shutting down nuclear plants and buying coal fired electricity for your EVs is “green”

This may shock you, but those big cities and blue states that are passing these laws HATE you, and anyone else, who asks logical questions or considers any lifestyle other then living in corrupt urban centers to be the epitome of ignorance and hatred. They don’t care if this suicidal push for EV everything obliterates local economies or leaves people stranded, it spreads their virtue signaling about how eco they are, and that’s all that matters.

I was going to leave a comment pointing out some things but I am absolutely pleased to see all the previous posters beat me to it. Thank you. A small glimmer of hope in the Idiocracy(movie)-Come-To-Reality that we live in now. I want quiet, non-polluting cars too but lithium is terrible for many reasons including environmental and we don't have the electric capacity pretty much anywhere because everybody is unreasonably afraid of nuclear and all the other 'green' options only work where they work and when they work. So in the end this is just virtue signaling for votes, at best, and disastrous policy at worst. Seems like some states want to 'out stupid' the other states. Of course California is saying 'hold my non-fat, sugar-free, soy, pumpkin spice latte and watch this'. Next up, Green Monorail!

The people pushing EVs don't live inside of a dense city with apartments that don't have parking. These people live in the suburbs and own houses with attached garages that can cost little to install a 240v line. I live in Chicago in a home with a unattached garage and it would take $1000s to install a 240v line(contrators to dig and replace concrete, a eletrician, and even a permit).

California can probably achieve their 35% goal by 2035 because they're already leading the country in EV sales currently around 16% of new vehicle purchases. I don't know where NY is now but only 9 years isn't very long especially if you're competing with other large states to meet aggressive goals. As one of the other posters said, I feel losing sight of the actual goal, reducing pollution and emissions, is getting swept aside because the market loves a huge growth opportunity and politicians love easy to manage policies and goals. If our public transit was efficient, clean , and safe more people would use it. Such a huge difference when we compare our mass transit with other developed countries. Disclaimer, I own 2 EVs and can't imagine purchasing another combustion vehicle. Still I don't think EVs are the sole answer to all of humanity's ills.

Gas engines are going the way of the dodo

As Mark Twain once opined, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

As others have stated, there are issues, primarily in the form of who is going to install all those chargers and where are they going to put them? I live in a condo complex with 39 homes. We do not have enough power coming into our building for 39 chargers. The apartment complex behind us has 200 units. They are screwed.

What about all the boats in NY and CA? Will they be mandated to be electric as well? Personally I would welcome that, although, I doubt boats would have the same efficiency as cars and the range on a boat would likely be greatly reduced compared to cars that can get 300+ miles. 300 mile range on a boat is decent, 150, not so much.

Heh heh - a lot of worried people here - with some valid points - however 12 years is a long time in the tech world - not so long in infrastructure world .
lithium yes a big concern - but then tech will sort some of this out
Downtown NYC - only mega rich have cars anyway.
Many people in some mega cities don't own cars now - useless to get to work - they rent cars for holidays etc - the car, camper, van they need.
Solar power will be everywhere - on lots of homes by then.
Fast charging is not far away .

Plus even for standard cities will cars be needed as much - ie 2 car families down to 1 car - with driverless electric vehicles .
Etrikes or new vehicle types , paradigms will arise

If you only use a car a couple of times a week - then maybe no need to buy one - as hire a car for electric driverless taxi as needed.

So yes people seem to cope - then wonder why they worried in the first place

The ICE engine won't disappear completely - but imagine gasoline will become like diesel in many countries - 2 prices - commercial & public - you want a to buy petrol for personal use - you will pay

You can bet the "elite" of society, wealthy, politicians, celebs etc will be IMMUNE to this.
THEY will be allowed to jet around in their private jets to their MULTIPLE HUGE houses
around the world with their multiple gas guzzling vehicles.
It is "we the 99%" that will have to suffer this garbage!
There isn't enough Lithium in the world, to instantly switch from "fossil fuels". Especially
long haul trucks, ships, airlines etc.

Yeah NYC where everyone can charge their EV in their garage... oh wait, they can't afford a 1 bedroom shoebox sized house because they are all over $1 million, I guess they run an extension cord out their 10th floor apartment window and hope a junkie or homeless don't unplug it.

Does'nt mean you could still legally import vehichles from other states with combustion or some sort of hybrid. Its stupid. One battery fire is enough to pump 100 toxic gasses right in the air. And these are'nt 100% failsafe.

There's nummerous of fires that burned down houses, parking lots, garages, you name it. And you cant really kill it with fire.

Gas engines are going the way of the dodo...when liberals order that they are the only thing you are allowed to buy.

not much of an accomplishment at all, they could not succeed in a free market.

ps climate change is a scam, go look at a global co2 emmissions chart, spoilers, it only has ever increased (save a temporary covid dip), no matter how many ev's are mandated by leftist's. get ready to be poor! noone can afford an 60k ev, so families will have many fewer vehicles, less jobs, money, social interaction etc. but of course that is environmentalism in a nutshell, poverty.

also going to be fun when the gubt orders you not to charge your ev every summer because they banned all fossil fuel sources of electricity and theres not enough to go around! gonna love biden losing by twenty points

imo conservatives need to fight fire with fire. if I'm texas and a consortium of red states I look at banning ev's. they pollute much more, so thats justification enough.

Last edited:
Does'nt mean you could still legally import vehichles from other states with combustion or some sort of hybrid. Its stupid. One battery fire is enough to pump 100 toxic gasses right in the air. And these are'nt 100% failsafe.

There's nummerous of fires that burned down houses, parking lots, garages, you name it. And you cant really kill it with fire.
I think washington for example has the law written that you can only register a zero emmission vehicle in the state by 2030. so, theres no way to import a gas vehicle to cheat.

all these laws are written to take effect some years away for a reason, just like all co2 curbing laws. so when the shtf the current politicians arent around, or they can just postpone them some more when the day nears.

as I said, it all means absolutely nothing. global co2 emissions will hit another all time record high in 2022. it's a good thing for us climate change is fake! if it wasnt we'd be in trouble.

This should be interesting.
Personally I think this is just more virtue signaling. I would be curious to see the plan to make this happen because there are a lot of issues with trying to do this.
I don't think these states are trend setters in anything other than how to boost crime and taxes. Not sure I would be playing follow the leader with these *****s.

Last edited:
As Mark Twain once opined, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

As others have stated, there are issues, primarily in the form of who is going to install all those chargers and where are they going to put them? I live in a condo complex with 39 homes. We do not have enough power coming into our building for 39 chargers. The apartment complex behind us has 200 units. They are screwed.

Oh man, there's not enough electricity coming in? Hopefully someone can figure out how to fix that within 14 years. I hope the HOA can figure out how to hire a company to install it within the next 14 years...

Oh man, there's not enough electricity coming in? Hopefully someone can figure out how to fix that within 14 years. I hope the HOA can figure out how to hire a company to install it within the next 14 years...

I don't see what a HOA would have to do with getting the city/state to fix and build to accommodate all the extra needed electricity that would be required for massive building apartment complexes or large neighborhoods. HOA has nothing to do with managing or handling anything with the electrical grid.

I think you misunderstood the post that Waclark made:

"As others have stated, there are issues, primarily in the form of who is going to install all those chargers and where are they going to put them? I live in a condo complex with 39 homes. We do not have enough power coming into our building for 39 chargers. The apartment complex behind us has 200 units. They are screwed."

He's not saying they don't have enough power coming in now, but having proper power and proper distribution to accommodate a possible 200+ chargers so everyone can charge their car batteries will be a feat to overcome and most likely, with how things are going, it won't work out well.

Just remember, Waclark's neighborhood isn't just a small isolated problematic location...it'll be a nation wide (heck, world wide) issue. A lot of work has to be done to get this to work out....not just forcing companies to go EV only by 2035 or forcing people to buy EV will make everything all nice a fluffy for the world.

It will costs thousands upon thousands of dollars to build and install charging ports for apartment complexes/condos. Who flips the bill? The residents? What if not all of them have an EV or a vehicle at all?
Home owners have to pay to have charging stations installed at their home and it's usually a few thousand to do it...what happens to those that aren't in a home that can easily allow this to be done? Do the owners now have to fork over extra thousands to get their place up to code?

There is so much more to forcing residents of any country/state/city to having no other choice to buy electric vehicles than most people realize and it's going to be a painful realization once they start hitting these roadblocks (no pun intended) because they can't think more than two steps ahead. They just want people to see "it's greener!" or "it's environmentally better!".

I still think it's a clusterfuc... of a situation and no one in charge is asking the right questions or laying out the proper work. If you think all this can be done and resolved in 14 years, well, more power to you I guess. But it's just a pipedream. If things were put into motion back at the start of the century, I could see them having things done properly by 2035 to handle an electric vehicle change over from ICE vehicles. Honestly, if they really feel like forcing electric vehicles, they should push out their mandatory timeframe out to 2050 at a minimum and make sure they have a proper infrastructure designed, built and tested.

Yea, you think it sounds easy. It's not as simple as buying a charger and plugging it into the wall. You actually have to be able to generate enough power to deliver to the home/condo/apartment/charging center. Did you miss the story about California asking people not to charge cars during peak periods due to the heat wave?

What about people who use street parking? Ever been to Chicago, Seattle, St. Louis or other cities where people park on the street overnight? What is it going to take to drop in power lines and chargers to those locations? It's a non-trivial problem and it will take every bit of 14 years to solve the problem, if not longer.

Back