New York State governor signs legislation banning public vaping indoors

Polycount

Staff

While the use of e-cigarettes and vapes in public locations has been seen by many as a more acceptable alternative to the smoking of actual cigarettes, New York State begs to differ. Back in July, state Governor Andrew Cuomo signed legislation that banned the use of e-cigarette products in public and private school areas.

Today, Governor Cuomo signed additional legislation that could further restrict the use of electronic cigarettes and vapes in indoor public spaces throughout the state. The bill in question (S.2543A/A.516A) bans all e-cigarette and vape use "everywhere that smoking tobacco products are prohibited."

Governor Cuomo briefly explained his reasoning behind the decision in the following statement:

"These products are marketed as a healthier alternative to cigarettes but the reality is they also carry long-term risks to the health of users and those around them," Governor Cuomo said. "This measure closes another dangerous loophole in the law, creating a stronger, healthier New York for all."

Bill sponsor Senator Kemp Hannon concurs with Cuomo's assessment. "As the proud sponsor of this legislation, I am pleased New York will be taking this step to protect New Yorkers from the potential harms of e-cigarettes. E-cigarettes often contain toxic chemicals in addition to nicotine, something bystanders should not be forced to breathe," Hannon said in a state news release.

Specifically, the state leadership feels that due to the lack of e-cigarette manufacturing regulations, bystanders could be exposed to dangerous chemicals without their knowledge or consent.

According to the release, "Some ingredients found in e-cigarettes are considered toxic and there is no regulation of what chemicals e-cigarettes contain..." The release notes that the inhalation of these unknown chemicals could result in serious long-term health complications.

It's no secret that the e-cigarette/vaping industry is big business. According to reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the industry is now worth roughly $2.5-billion. Among high school students alone, e-cigarette/vape usage saw a 900 percent growth spike between 2011 and 2015.

As you might expect with such numbers, e-cigarette users haven't gone down without a fight. New York City's C.L.A.S.H. -- a smokers' rights organization -- filed legal action against the city of New York back in January. Though the action ultimately failed, C.L.A.S.H. claimed that the regulation of e-cigarettes as an addendum to the Smoke-Free Air Act was unconstitutional.

It's worth noting that by placing e-cigarettes and vapes on the same level as traditional cigarettes statewide, Cuomo is merely closing the gap between the 70 percent of New York State's cities that have already instituted similar regulations and the 30 percent that haven't.

Permalink to story.

"These products are marketed as a healthier alternative to cigarettes but the reality is they also carry long-term risks to the health of users and those around them," Governor Cuomo said. "This measure closes another dangerous loophole in the law, creating a stronger, healthier New York for all."

There are no long-term side effects, because there have been no long-term studies done yet. There hasn't been enough time. Typical New York/CA politics. Jump on that bandwagon, regardless of science and statistics! Friggin' *****s.

Why not regulate the manufacturing side so vaping only effects the person doing it?
By that logic, why dont we get on the manufacturers to create coal rolling diesels that only affect the driver!

Because you cant regulate that, amazingly. That smoke has to be exhaled, thats how the human body works.

Instead, lets put money into studying the effects of vaping, and any toxicity/carcinogenic properties they have on users and second hand breathers.

By that logic, why dont we get on the manufacturers to create coal rolling diesels that only affect the driver!

Because you cant regulate that, amazingly. That smoke has to be exhaled, thats how the human body works.

Instead, lets put money into studying the effects of vaping, and any toxicity/carcinogenic properties they have on users and second hand breathers.

Not sure how you have applied logic here. Car exhaust have catalytic converters that greatly reduce the number of harmful gases leaving the exhaust. It would be nice to have a similar filter in the vape to allow nicotine and steam to go through while toxins remain blocked. You only force innovation in that area if you regulate it since it cost to do something better (see F1). When the user exhales, only steam will come out and nicotine will adhere inside.

Car exhaust have catalytic converters that greatly reduce the number of harmful gases leaving the exhaust.
If you are thinking from an engineering stand point something can be created to prevent sharing of smoke, it would have to be placed in the persons lung. It's not as if smoke (or vapor) can be prevented from leaving the Cig/eCig, that would negate the whole concept of doing it to begin with.

Why not regulate the manufacturing side so vaping only effects the person doing it?

It would be the same as trying to regulate production of tobacco. The government tried it, but could never succeed, because that's the war against the entire (hundreds of billions) industry, for which the government does not have the stomach or the money.

If you are thinking from an engineering stand point something can be created to prevent sharing of smoke, it would have to be placed in the persons lung. It's not as if smoke (or vapor) can be prevented from leaving the Cig/eCig, that would negate the whole concept of doing it to begin with.

Not quite, cigs come with filters built-in/provided. If the regulation exists for better filters for compliance, industry has to follow.

It would be the same as trying to regulate production of tobacco. The government tried it, but could never succeed, because that's the war against the entire (hundreds of billions) industry, for which the government does not have the stomach or the money.

With the popularity of e-cigs, the production of tobacco is going to go down due to synthetic nicotine.

Regulation will work is the same manner as Euro 1-6 standards for car emissions for e-cigs.

Not quite, cigs come with filters built-in/provided. If the regulation exists for better filters for compliance, industry has to follow.
OK lets forget about the point I was trying to bring out for a minute. Regulations will not prevent the need for banning Cigs or eCigs. People use those products for one reason and regulating that reason out of existence solves nothing. People buy full strength Cig, light Cigs, and even filterless Cigs. Changing the regulations on how the filter works will only result in people not buying them or breaking the filters completely off. There is no protecting everyone except the smoker. That would only prevent the smoker from getting what they want. It is called second hand smoke because the smoker exhales the smoke being inhaled by the second person. That is why I said you would have to put a filter in the smokers lung, to prevent exhaling second hand smoke.

The only solution is to outlaw the damn things completely. And yes I know what it is like to go out and buy a pack or two a day. And yes I know the difficulties of quitting, I've done it twice in my life.

OK lets forget about the point I was trying to bring out for a minute. Regulations will not prevent the need for banning Cigs or eCigs. People use those products for one reason and regulating that reason out of existence solves nothing. People buy full strength Cig, light Cigs, and even filterless Cigs. Changing the regulations on how the filter works will only result in people not buying them or breaking the filters completely off. There is no protecting everyone except the smoker. That would only prevent the smoker from getting what they want. It is called second hand smoke because the smoker exhales the smoke being inhaled by the second person. That is why I said you would have to put a filter in the smokers lung, to prevent exhaling second hand smoke.

The only solution is to outlaw the damn things completely. And yes I know what it is like to go out and buy a pack or two a day. And yes I know the difficulties of quitting, I've done it twice in my life.

Prohibition never works though, second hand smoke from vape is lot worse then traditional cigs.

Prohibition does cut back on public usage, which is the problem most non-users have. Anything short of prohibition and you will continue to see stories such as this one.

There is no 'second hand smoke' from vaping. What comes out is water vapor. There is absolutely no science to this ban. Why do you not know these very simple things that are easy to check?

Back