Newb here needs help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

Hey yall, I need help, i waz wo9ndering if i could upgrade my processor, ath the moment its a 2.17ghz AMD Athlon, i waz wondering, when i upgrade do i have to stay with an AMD Athlon, or can i get an intel pentium 4? and how do i know if i can upgrade my processor any way?

Here are some of the specs:
Processor AMD Athlon™ XP – 3000+
(2.17GHz)
NVIDIA® nForce™2 chipset
333MHz bus speed
Level 2 cache 512KB
Memory 512MB DDR-SDRAM 333MHz
2 DIMM sockets
Storage 120GB Ultra DMA hard drive (7200rpm)
incl. 4GB partition for system recovery
DVD-writer +R/+RW 4x
Floppy drive 3.5'' 1.44MB
Communication V92-ready modem
10/100BT network interface
Video ATI® Radeon™ 9200
128MB video memory
Sound Integrated AC '97 sound solution
(Speakers provided with Monitors)
Accessories PS/2 keyboard and scroller mouse
Monitors (buy separately):
Compaq Presario FP5315 15" LCD
with integrated speakers
Compaq Presario FP7317 17" LCD
with integrated speakers
Compaq Presario MV7500 17" CRT
with external JBL speakers
Ports &
Expandability
5 expansion bays (free: 1 x 3.5''
internal)
1 AGP
3 PCI (2 PCI free)
6 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front)
2 Firewire Interface-IEEE-1394 (1 in
front)
1 parallel port
1 serial port
Front Audio
TV out

You have to stay with AMD unless you switch motherboards because AMD and Pentium use different sockets.

Look at the book that came with your motherboard and that will tell you what processors it will support.

If it was me I would just upgrade the motherboard as well.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Why do you want to upgrade an Athlon XP 3000+? Or is that what you're going to upgrade to...:confused:

Sounds like that's what he's got......and wants to go Intel. I'm curious also....:confused:

Ya, well, i waz just wondering if you could change from say and Athlon to intel (or the other way round) well, i dont really give a (bad word there) what make it is (as long it aint a celeron) i waz just wonderin if i could upgrade my CPU in genral.....

Not at the moment like...in the future...cus some people have been telling me that its the Equivalent to an intel p 4 3.0Ghz.

Is that true? (the one i have at the moment that is)

What's the difference

Depends on what you are doing with the processor...there are tons of people more knowledgable than me in these forums, but I can tell you that Athlons and Pentiums both have their advantages in different types of environments...if you are running your CPU in a system that is dedicated to mostly one particular type of task (Gaming, where video is extremely important or an audio workstation where multiple audio streams are important), you should pick your processor accordingly...just takes some research - check some reviewer benchmarks, and ask around some of the forums...

If you have the Athlon XP 3000+ now (which I still haven't figured out if you do) then don't upgrade, you won't notice a performance increase at all with any processor you could buy today. If I were you I wouldn't upgrade until another year has gone by, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back