Newbie AGP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, brand new to the boards, I have a few questions that I hope you guys will be able to help me out with. I have an old asus A7A266 motherboard, with a single AGP slot.... having never really been into gaming seriously, I've never really looked into AGP cards before.... The computer came with a geforce2 MX400 64mb graphics card (ya ya i know it's really old :D).... However, I'm giving this computer to my lil bro and would like to upgrade his graphics card so he's able to at least play some of the newer games out there.

Now my question is, i've been reading about AGP4x and AGP8x......... are these different slots than the one in my motherboard? Or are these just the type of video card that can be used in my AGP slot?

I was thinking of just putting in the,

ATI Rad. 9550 256MB AGP8X w/TV & DVI-I OEM
or
ATI Rad. 9600 XT 256MB AGP8X w/S-Video & DVI-I OEM
or
ATI Rad. X1300 256MB AGP8x Sapphire

would these cards work? My main goal is to allow him to play Counterstrike:Source and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (i know the latter requires shader 1.1) which should be found on most new cards hopefully? His current setup allows him to play Counterstrike:Source but it's a little bit slow, so I figured the new graphics would likely help that out a lot. Let me know what you guys think and sorry about the long post! Thx in advance,

Alex

Nah most mobos have either an AGP 2x/4x slot or an AGP 4x/8x slot. So look to buy a video card that says AGP 4x/8x since it will work in both types of slots. The X1300 is the pick of the lot but I would go for a GeForce 6600GT instead. It's almost the same price, but has more than twice the performance advantage.

I looked up you mobo and its an agp x4 so any card you get for it MUST support x4 or it wont work properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back