Newbie on socket 775

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hello! My question is quite simple and may sound silly but it's the first time I'm building a system with socket 775 and Neither the MOBO or the processor came with Thermal Grease the guide don't even mention it, so my question is, Should I apply a thermal grease layer on this kind of processor? or it's not necessary, the Heat sink looks like already have some on the bottom but im not sure, any cares and precautions about this kind of processors will be appreciate it, I don't want to fry the system, thank you so much!

hi rmdl51,

all processors regardless of socket require some sort of paste or pad to transfer the heat to the heatsink effectively.

mobos will never come with any thermal grease. if it's a retail CPU, then it should come with a heatsink with pre-applied paste (or pad) on it.

the pre-applied paste or pad should be fine. but if you plan on overclocking your CPU or simply want better cooling, then you should consider buying some quality thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5

cheers :wave:

If it's a RETAIL CPU you are buying, it will come with a generic Intel fan/heatsink with a grey thermal pad already on the bottom of the heatsink.

Depending on the CPU, I'd highly recommend buying some Arctic Silver 5 and some alcohol to remove the old pad. Most higher-clock D series Prescott and Presler core CPU's run a bit hot for the stock fan/heatsink and Arctic Silver 5 can help alot with this when running the stock Intel retail fan.

Thank you! somehow I feel like I should put the thermal grease anyways but better ask the Pro's :) and previous system I built, MOBO came with a small one and yes it's a retail Intel Heatsink, well I'm gonna put a layer of this thermal grease that sharkfoof suggest, Thank you!!

make sure you thoroughly clean off the old stuff with isopropyl alcohol before applying the new compound.

also, don't go crazy when applying it, read here for proper Arctic Silver application methods.

and pay special attention to the first line of the instruction page which states
Don't put it in your mouth.
hahaha :haha: :giddy: :haha:

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back