Newbie overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hi, even though a have a lot of experience building and repairing computers I never overclocked before, I build a PC for a friend and I build a Core 2 Duo E4300 with an ASUS MOBO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131041

I Overclock it using the ASUS Bios, I know Core 2 Duo are very reliable for overclocking, but I don't know how safe it is, I just overclock by 10% to reach 1.98Ghz, and temps don't seem to raise too much.
I believe she will be ok, but I'm wondering how can I know how far can a CPU be overclocked, ASUS Bios tops on 30%. I just want to hear some opinions about this, Sandra Benchmarks seems to improve a lot when I did the overclocking.

BTW I put this RAM on it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145527
She don't game at all, she only need a fast computer for accounting at home and some other basic stuff.

Thank you all beforehand for your input.

Well, if she doesn't game at all, I think you don't need to OC the CPU. The 4300 is pretty fast even at stock speeds. Heck, I have underclocked my CPU to 1500 Mhz and 1.31 volts, and it's still pretty fast (even for games).

But if you still want to OC it, 2.0 Ghz would be a great speed. These chips can reach 2.6-2.8 Ghz easily, but it would be a waste of time if she doesn't run games @ all.

Just my $0.02 :)

so 2.6, 2.8ghz... great!! that's over 50%, and.. I know... I really want to give her my P4 and keep the Core 2 Duo, :p but she wouldn't agree to that, she said she want entry level of the high-end/fastest computer available, so I suggest the 4300 and she's happy with it, but I keep thinking it's a waste of such a great CPU, for the use she gives to that computer even Celeron 2.8 would be a great option, but Now that I've tried the Core 2 Duo (even the 4300) I really wanna build one for myself, and finally move on to PCI-E. Thanks for your comment!

You're welcome, and believe me, even my underclocked Core 2 Duo processor is insanely fast :)

Looks like you need to update your signature to reflect your newly underclocked CPU :p... and WHY is it underclocked? You say you game with it, so why not get every last bit of performance out of it?

My overclocks are like 2mhz, Last time I accedently overclocked my GPU by 3ghz ( It was reading MHZ and I forgot how much MHz was in 1GHz ) and it literally caught on fire :haha:

I have underclocked my CPU because it is running too hot. With the underclock, now it never gets to 50°C :)

But I will overclock it when I get my new cooler ;)
And yes MetalX, I have to update my sig...

I am going to overclock mines as not to strain the motherboard, see check this out.
The RAM is DDR2-800, but the motherboard uses 667
However, the board has an FSB of 1066, which is perfect for Core 2 Duo I have (1.8Ghz), so I was like. :p

Thus, I ended up underclocking the motherboards BUS to link well with the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back