Newbie. PC Stop Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefunk

I've been getting blue screens for about a month now. I've tried formatting my hard disk & reinstalling windows but it still happens. I have attached the minidumps from the last 4 crashes and would appreciate it if anyone could help be resolve this issue.

Thanks

thefunk

ps. I've also ran several memory diagnostics tests & have never found an error.

I've been told it may be the graphics card driver (ATI Radeon 9200 256MB gold Edition) that's causing the problem, but none of the newer catalyst drivers seem to work on this card.

Thanks for having a look. That kinda makes sense, but for a while I was running vista build 6000 & I had the same problem when I was using Kaspersky AV.

Another thing that confuses me is that mfehidk.sys is associated with Daemon Tools, I've never even used that program.

thefunk said:
Another thing that confuses me is that mfehidk.sys is associated with Daemon Tools, I've never even used that program.

Is this program installed on your system, but you have never used it, or you never downloaded it? Did someone else download and install Daemon Tools? I use it, and I am running the new beta Norton 360 with it and it works great. I can run Halo and some of my "CD must be in the drive" games without having to have the discs in

Tmagic650 said:
Is this program installed on your system, but you have never used it, or you never downloaded it? Did someone else download and install Daemon Tools? I use it, and I am running the new beta Norton 360 with it and it works great. I can run Halo and some of my "CD must be in the drive" games without having to have the discs in

No, I've never even installed Daemon Tools. I am the only person that uses this pc so I know for a fact that it's never been installed. I ran a search on my pc for mfehidk.sys and found no results. Is this file also associated with Mcafee?

If you truly don't have Daemon Tools installed... (look in Add/Remove programs) this has to be a McAfee issue. The only thing I can suggest is to get rid of McAfee and download, install and update another antivirus program

I've already uninstalled mcafee & I was installing pc cillin & it stopped again. This time it says it was RAM that caused it.

OK, so I'm still getting these bluescreens so I now have 10 minidumps.

Mcafee is gone & I now have AVG. Someone suggested to me that it's a usb device causing security problems, but I have disabled all usb devices so it's not that.

I've ran tests for each memory stick individually, and altogether for 10 passes & found nothing. Then I rebooted & it crashed as soon as I opened firefox.

Run with only 1 stick at a time, if it still crashes then swap it with the other stick. You can also try with just 1 stick in another slot.

try to clean your memory card manually maybe thats the one problem[some dirt in your memory stick cause that problem. Use eraser to clean the metal inside.
hope this option helps u alot.ground yourself first before touching any parts inside.

Ok, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I may have solved the problem.

I just noticed that 2 of my memory sticks are pc3200 & one is pc2700. My uncle told me today that the pc2700 isn't compatible with the other 2, even if I'm running them at only 133mhz.

Can anyone clarify this?

Correct. You can't mix RAM speeds, or at least you should never mix them. Run one or the other. Remove the pc 2700 and stick with just the 3200, or get another stick of 3200. Another issue is that you should stick to pairs, meaning that if you have two sticks of RAM inserted, each should be of the same amount (2X128 or 2X512, etc). This way, it optimizes the RAM performance.

sghiznaneck said:
Correct. You can't mix RAM speeds, or at least you should never mix them. Run one or the other. Remove the pc 2700 and stick with just the 3200, or get another stick of 3200. Another issue is that you should stick to pairs, meaning that if you have two sticks of RAM inserted, each should be of the same amount (2X128 or 2X512, etc). This way, it optimizes the RAM performance.

That gives me another problem then. One of my pc3200 is 256MB and the other is 128MB, although I may have a matching 256MB pc2700.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back