Newly installed C: drive not visisble to my network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed a new C: drive in my Primary Computer. I have run the Network Wizard on both my Primary Computer and Secondary Computer but the new drive doesn't show up in the network on EITHER machine. The drive works fine, is accurately listed in the CMOS and readily accessible in My Computer as well as any file manager.

How can I get this drive to be recognized my network which is a simple two machine hookup with no server. Both machines have all drives set for file and printer sharing.

Any suggetions will be greatly appreciated.

haynaguy@echoes.net
Jack Ayres

This may be a stupid question, but have you shared your C drive? Just because the 2 computers are networked doesn't automatically make everything between them accessable over the network, you have to allow specific directories or drives to be shared explicitly, or they will not show up.

SNGX1275 said:
Same Workgroup?
Firewalled?

Same workgroup, yes and it doesn't matter if the Windows XP Firewall is active or not. I have the two computers in the network listed as exceptions. It is only the one drive on the one machine that is "invisible." The two drives on the second machine are all ok and printer sharing is fine.

cables should be crossover
someone just ask a question like this before
check microsoft web site for your OS
with XP I think all you have to do is run connect wizard
make sure the files you want to get to have sharing enabled
don't use the default $c$ rename it

I temkporarily reinstalled my old C: drive and that is not recognized either.

Keep in mind the C: drive is not even listed in Mshome. All the Sharing and Security settings give everybody permission to use everything but that doesn't help because I can't even select the C: drive.. it isn't there as far as the network is concerned.

so your saying when you click on the icon
what machine names do you see
you will have to navigate to the network
click on entire network click on windows network
you should now see the network group click on that you should see
the machine names of all the pc's on network you will not see (C:\)
if you know about mapping network drive leave alone for now
if you don't see your machine name your nic card is not config right
when you added this drive did you make sure it was setup with the same workgroup name
and just to make sure add the netbuei protoco to your nic card

I found my problem. After exhausting all other efforts I tried to Repair my Windows XP operating system. Three efforts were terminated by XP before the process could finish.

I then formatted the C: drive and did a fresh installation of Windows XP. Afterward I ran the Network Wizard and set the Security options for both of my hard drives and now the network recognizes my C: drive on both computers connected to the network.

So the problem was Windows.

Jack Ayres

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back