Newly upgraded rig, looking for feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've finally smoothed out most of the problems I've had with Windows after installing my new upgrade, my new Antec TruePower 2.0 550w PSU is due to arrive tommorow and I'm hoping that will iron out the remaining problems I've been experiencing. Still I'd love to hear any comments, feedback and general thoughts regarding my set up and what kind of performance to expect.

I'm an amatuer game designer & developer in my spare time, this winter I'll be jumping back in to work on my portfolio, with this main rig serving as my "clean" gaming and work computer with my second rig used for download storage and rendering etc. I'll be hoping to play a lot of the big games due for release over the winter, currently I'm experiencing varied performance with a lot of the games I have installed. (Battlefield 2, 2142 Beta, Dark Messiah Demo, Oblivion, Fable...) I'll cut the crap and get to the specs, again I'd be really interested to hear any feedback on this setup and the performance that I can expect.

• OS - Windows XP Professional SP2
  • CPU - DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000Mhz (10x200) 3800+
  • Mobo - Asus A8R MVP
  • RAM - 2gb Corsair VS512MB400C3 (DDR PC3200)
  • Video - ATi Radeon X1600XT 256MB DDR3 (x2 w/Crossfire)
  • Storage - Maxtor 6 L120M0 120Gb, Maxtor 6 Y120M0 120Gb
  • Sound - Creative SB Live! Sound Card PCI (Needs replacing)
  • PSU - Cheap 500w 20pin ATX
  • Case/Cooling - Antec Plusview 1000 with two case fans, CPU idles at around 45°C, RAM at 35°C, GPU at 50°C.

I'm fairly confident that my PSU is the main contributing factor to the average levels of performance I have been experiencing, I get spikes of mouse movement lag during general application use, which is irritating. Some games run at what seem like abnormally slow speeds, my FPS in the Dark Messiah demo for example (all settings on full, 2xAA, 2xAF) will range from 10 to 40 throughout the main demo level, perhaps this is normal?

Anyway, once my PSU is replaced I'll be running 3DMark06 and using that as a basis of comparison, however if anyone out there has a similar setup I'd love to hear what experience they have with similar usage.

Thanks,
Bill.

Psu's tend to cause instability rather than low performance. Do you have all the latest mobo and graphics drivers on it and good antispyware/antivirus software?

Yeah Catalyst 6.8, all the latest mobo drivers. Once I've run some benchmarks I'll definately have a better idea of how the set up is performing. I'll post tommorow once the PSU is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back