nForce 4 Network Difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaronjocelin

I recently wrapped up a new build involving an nForce4-SLi motherboard (specs in signature). I've taken it on the network where I normally stay, without any hindrances.
However, I recently took this new system for a long-term visit with a friend. It does not seem to be coping with her network well. I've updated the drivers and NAM, but it is unable to secure a workable IP address on her network.
I've manually configured it to use an IP address on the 192.168.1.x network, which theoretically should work, but though it registers just dandy with DNS, it still will not allow me on the network.
Another strange thing is, I've performed "ipconfig /all" on her computer (which works), and it shows that the gateway DHCP is 192.168.1.1, but the DHCP my system tries to use when I enable it is 255.255.255.0. Any ideas?

Responses would be greatly appreciated.

Well, the 255.255.255.0 is a Subnet Mask Address (It is a correct address for a Class C network). I would make sure that you setup the Static address on your computer properly. Also try to reset the router/modem that she uses. Sometimes that clears up errors. Post Results.

thebaronjocelin said:
I recently wrapped up a new build involving an nForce4-SLi motherboard (specs in signature). I've taken it on the network where I normally stay, without any hindrances.
However, I recently took this new system for a long-term visit with a friend. It does not seem to be coping with her network well. I've updated the drivers and NAM, but it is unable to secure a workable IP address on her network.
I've manually configured it to use an IP address on the 192.168.1.x network, which theoretically should work, but though it registers just dandy with DNS, it still will not allow me on the network.
Another strange thing is, I've performed "ipconfig /all" on her computer (which works), and it shows that the gateway DHCP is 192.168.1.1, but the DHCP my system tries to use when I enable it is 255.255.255.0. Any ideas?

Responses would be greatly appreciated.

You need to power down the modem, ipconfig /release, power up the modem (wait for all lights to come on), then ipconfig /renew (or reboot the pc)

After renewing the IP, it gives me the error message:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

From what I've read on the subject, the next step to take would be to export, backup and delete Winsock and Winsock2 registry entries (which I've done).

However, I've also heard that you're afterwards supposed to reinstall or overwrite TCP/IP in Windows XP. This, being in a small, foreign town and stranded without my XP Home installation disk, is impossible unless I can find somebody else's, and even then it may be tricky.

Any other suggestions?

gavinseabrook said:
Well, the 255.255.255.0 is a Subnet Mask Address (It is a correct address for a Class C network). I would make sure that you setup the Static address on your computer properly. Also try to reset the router/modem that she uses. Sometimes that clears up errors. Post Results.

Thanks for response.
But isn't it impossible to manually set a DHCP address? How could that be erroneous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back