nForce2 "MAC" Address???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders

I read around the web about my K7N2-Delta on-board NIC and the reference to the "MAC" addy. ,, I did notice the field in my BIOS about that,,what is it and would it speed up my NIC??

I only ask cause with the latest driver (313) installed my PC is kinda slow receiving packets (i read thats the term),,i also read that the addy. is located on the side of one of the slots,,for giggles i enterd that # in the Field Calling for it but nothing happend.

Any Help would be awsome
Thanks All.

This works in XP

Open notepad and copy this in there:

@echo.
@ipconfig /all
@echo.
@pause

Save as "IP.bat" in the C: Directory
Go to the RUN box and type IP <Enter>

That works great.

Taken from -> MAC address definition @ Free-definition.com

MAC address
- definition, meaning, explanation & information in free-definition.com -

In computer networking a Media Access Control address or MAC address is an identifier physically stored inside a network card or similar network interface and used to assign globally unique addresses in some OSI model Layer 2 networks, and in the physical layer of the Internet protocol suite. MAC addresses are assigned by the IEEE, and are used in many widely used network technologies, including (but not limiting to) the following:

* Ethernet
* Token ring
* 802.11 wireless networks
* ATM (switched virtual connections only, as part of an NSAP address)

Since the original designers of Ethernet had the foresight to use a 48 bit address space, there are potentially 248 or 281 million million possible MAC addresses. The IEEE hands out 24-bit OUI prefixes to organizations, effectively allocating blocks of 224 (around 16 million) MAC addresses at a time.

Although MAC addresses are permanent by design, several mechanisms allow their modification. As an example, Internet gateway routers allow the network administrator to set the WAN interface MAC address, to fool ISPs that bind their service to a specific NIC. Also, running Linux, one can arbitrarily set the MAC address to fool software license keys tied to specific NICs using the command

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05

(This needs to be done before network initialization and is not permanent.)

Are you having a slow connection to the Internet or to your LAN ? Your connection shouldn't be influenced directly by your MAC address, it might be slow for another reason : bad cable, NIC negotiating the wrong speed ( 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps for example ), etc...

What have you tried so far to get a better connection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back