Nintendo DS to feature wireless downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Earlier this week, it was revealed by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, that the company's upcoming handheld console touted 'DS' (dual-screen) will have the capability of downloading game data wirelessly.

Nintendo seems to be preparing a number of innovations with its upcoming console that for the first time in many years will face the competition from other console makers such as Sony.

"The DS's wireless connection isn't just a substitute for the link cable that was used on the Game Boy (for multiplayer games). The DS has wireless download capability, which allows it to receive a program and to execute it. With it, people can play games together using only one cartridge," said Iwata, citing as one example Super Mario 64 DS' four-player, one-cartridge simultaneous game play.

According to the article, Nintendo also plans to distribute game demos wirelessly in stores and even in movie theaters, something that hasn't been done before.

Here's just being a PSP zealot...;) . The DS seems kind of hit or miss for Nintendo, so it makes sense that they'd want to make it as appealing as possible.

Im just saying, competition has been planed to do the same, we dont have to stick to strict DS discussion.

Actually, the DS can play multiplayer from about 10 feet away with the wireless feature. As for the PSP, there don't seem to be a lot of studios on board for release time games.

that and it needs internet for multiplayer, I dont think it can just hookup with a "lan" so to speak with other units but who knows

There was actually some discussion about it being wireless B, so it could use a wireless router to connect to the internet and play against other / get updates.

JUst wait for firmware updates;)

wireless range

me(who else?) said:
Actually, the DS can play multiplayer from about 10 feet away with the wireless feature. As for the PSP, there don't seem to be a lot of studios on board for release time games.

I've heard the ds can use multiplayer at, at least, 30 feet (100 max.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back