No Audio Device Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGGBoy

I fixing this DELL Laptop. It initially had two problems. With me reloading Windows XP, I was able to fix one of the issue. The other one is still haunting me. The computer doesn't have any sound, the speaker icon is not in the systray, and when I open the "sound and Audio Devices" from control panel, the window that opens shows the message "No audio device found". I

I went to the DELL website and downloaded the latest audio drivers, installed it, and rebooted the box, and still no sound, and no audio device foundl.

In a way I am thinking something is wrong with the hardware, but kind of doubt it because every now and then a "beep" sound would come from the speakers. Anybody has a clue as to what is going on here and what I shuold do next to fix it?

Thanks

Did you reinstall the motherboard drivers? It's not clear to me whether you reformatted the hard drive and did a fresh install of XP or just installed XP over itself.

It's very possible the latest drivers might not be the correct drivers...return to Dell's site and do a search for your system specs...
Also check Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and see how the audio device is listed.
Or you could dload and run Everest Home and it will tell you everything you need to know about your system and then some...

patio. :cool:

done most of that

hey Patio, thanks for the tip. I've been to DELL already and downloaded the driver, and that didn't work :(

You mentioned about looking at how the audio devices is listed. is there anything I should be looking for? The audio device does not have the yellow "?", if that is what you were trying to get at.

Thanks

Yep that's what we were looking for. Since there are no yellows it's eliminated 1 possibility...
Do the Everest thing and report back with your results.
Dell drivers can be a royal pain but let's not give up just yet.

patio. :cool:

Update

No kidding about the drivers being a pain. Hey over the weekend, I was able to delete the default device that was configured by starting XP in safe mode. Then manually selected the DELL driver for the machine that I downloaded from DELL. After doing that, I did as you said again, and this time the audio device had the yellow "?" It could not start and the error given was a "Code 10"

I installed and ran Everst, but don't quite remember what it showed me. I'll repost again when I get an update. Thanks Patio for your help

Conrado.

Audio Problem - suggestion

friend,

we have same problem and i will share to you how i correct that problem and this maybe will solve your problem too.

by the way before going further? did you sovled i already? if not try do this.

go to google and search the "vinyl audio" download it and install.

try your playing music after installation.

good luck and enjoy your music. :)

I had the same problem with my sound, but not on a Dell. I spent all day trying every suggestion I could find and finally I tried the download from Vinyl Audio and suddenly I have sound!! Thanks for your suggestion.

I have the same problem, i installed vinyl audio, and now my computer can play the music files (it came up as error before i installed vinyl audio) but in control panel\sounds it still says no audio device. any ideas?

Dear Jonaz74

Vinyl Audio driver rocks.

I had all the same problems and that is solved now with your advice.

I have compaq nx4820 notebook and I got really frustrated with the driver support available for Audio Card from Compaq. I am afraid there is not any support at all. But you advice helped and I got my Audio working in minutes.

Life cannot get any better.

Thank you very much.

hi ive got nearlly the same problem when i turn on my laptop i have sound but if i wait a bit the sound will go off and then say no audio device and all the other options are blanked out grey,
but if i turn the laptop on and then put media player on and play the sound will work all the time why do you think this is happening
reply back asap i dont have sound cheers matty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back