No Audio with My Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber7

I have a fully updated Window's XP. (Service packs and everything...)
It originally had its GPU on the motherboard. Then I bought an ATI Radeon 2600
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd2600/index.html
Notice in the notes (in the above website) it talks about sound. (We'll get to that in a moment)

Before installation of the graphics card I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 220wm (HD Monitor). It came with speakers. It has three ports. (Each labeled.) One HD port. One Audio input port. (Labeled exactly like that) And one RGB port. Before I got the graphics card I connected the audio from my comp, through that port. After I installed my graphics card all sound stopped functioning. My monitor is at 100% volume. My comp as at 100% volume. Then I read that my graphics card comes with sound. (wierd...) So I figure it must go through the hd port. So I unplug the cord from the monitor input and... nothing.

Windows reports no problems. I went through window's help and nothing happened.

My graphics card did not come with a sound driver so I'm assuming it can use the current one.

Dxdiag reports:
Device:
Name: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086DEV_24D5SUBSYS_12BC103CREV_
Manufacture ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Default Device: Yes
Drivers:
Name: smwdm
Version: 5.12.0001.3620 (English)
Date: 5/27/2003
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Other Files:
Provider: Analog Devices

(Funny the provider Analog Devices is providing software for digitial...)
Dxdiag reports no problems.

When I ran a search I found this:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/faq/10entrye.htm
I eliminated that possibility. (My registry list wasn't full)

Go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Audio Tab and confirm your default sound card has been installed
Apply
OK
Test again

It doesn't show any other sound devices. I've found & installed the drivers needed for my graphics card's HDMI sound. However its not showing up as a sound/video device. Only a video adapter. (Which is correct, but it also does sound)

In short: Yes the default device is enabled because there are no other devices. (Though just encase I did hit try it.)

Thanks Bomber7,

We may need some more details of your hardware too continue

You can download this tool and either update your User Profile (preferred) or paste the info in a new reply.

At this stage, it looks as though you may just need to re-install your sound drivers. You may also wish to check Device Manager for any errors on your sound card
Just Run:- devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager

First a few questions:
1. I downloaded the program. It gave me a bunch of data, but how exactly do I export that data.
2. You gave me a link to User CP. Once exported where do I put the data? Theres no way off adding an attachment under 'User attachments'

Now, theres no device/driver conflicts. All devices and drivers report they are working fine. My normal sound no longer works. I'm assuming this is for the same reason my previous display output no longer works. Because the graphics card has taken over that job. My old integrated graphics adapter is no longer displayed probably because my bios recognized it was no longer needed. My soundmax drivers/devices remain unchanged.

I don't think reinstalling soundmax drivers will solves my problems because I want my new drivers to take over. Not my old soundmax drivers. But hey, if you think it'll help I'll do it. How do I uninstall them, and where can I download them again?

Lol, fixed the top link in my top post. It was wrong....

In your User Profile it is under Edit Profile Thank-you for bringing this to my attention. I will now give the Edit Profile link out instead
In there scroll down the page, until you see all the "Additional Information" area where you can just copy the information from System Specs, and type it in.

After posting this information, I can then help with drivers.
Let me know if it's easy, or if I missed anything.

Ok I had one other annoyance. When I tried to copy individual things from the program to my profile, it copied all the data. So I had to paste it to notepad then copy from there to my profile.

Note how my graphics card should also show up as a sound card but doesn't... Yet I'm almost certain my motherboard shut off my normal sound card in anticipation of my graphics card taking over. (The normal sound card no longer outputs any sound..)

Done !

Except for that 085ch M/b thing

Please go here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
And click on Start Detection
This will show you your system and drivers!

Download the audio drivers again (and update your edit profile)
Re-install the new audio drivers.

By the way, thought I better re-read all the posts
The Samsung SyncMaster 220wm has speakers attached to it
They provide an audio cable that comes from your computer green audio out plug to the screen audio in plug (basically just plugging in external speakers)

Can you just try another set of external speakers to your computer, plug them in (and power to speakers usually) and test

The external audio output on my computer no longer does anything. This is because the graphics card is supposed to handle sound. My comp. does not recognize it as a sound card.
I'll try out what you said.

I don't really need the drivers for my normal sound device because its not even supposed to be used, my graphics card is supposed to be used.

I clicked reinstall on both. It didn't change anything. I really think this is because my graphics card is supposed to be doing it. Not my sound card. (At least not anymore) So my soundcard no longer does anything. Maybe my monitor can't input sound off of HDMI?

Then again my graphics card isn't showing up as a sound device. I think that might be the problem!

Disable onboard sound in your system bios
Start your computer up cold (restart sometimes doesn't show it)
Press the key it says to go into system setup
Disable on board sound

And

There must be a program that was installed with this card
built-in 5.1 surround audio is stated on the site you gave earlier.
So yes, it has 5.1 sound.
Either using the program it installed with, or using advanced settings under audio. Basically check it all out.

Sorry it took my so damn long to get back to you.
I've done everything you told me to. Now my computer reports it has no sound. (I disabled built-in sound in the bios.)
I believe the problem is the bios says my comp should use my graphics card, but my comp still wants to use the built in.
Now my problem is my computer can't understand that my graphics card also does sound. The drivers don't help. This is sad. (And extremely annoying)

Sorry it took my so damn long to get back to you.
I've done everything you told me to. Now my computer reports it has no sound. (I disabled built-in sound in the bios.)
I believe the problem is the bios says my comp should use my graphics card, but my comp still wants to use the built in.
Now my problem is my computer can't understand that my graphics card also does sound. The drivers don't help. This is sad. (And extremely annoying)

Oh ATI stopped offering drivers for my card (which is AGP not PCIe) And its only been two months since I bought it. Boy I hate those people more by the minute.

Bookmarked.

Every driver (sound and graphics) they have to offer me, is already installed. I really want my sound. Graphics are great, but games really need to be heard as well.

Hmm

Due to the amount of support here.
I'm starting to think, purchase another sound card, are you?

Also before you get sick of me (I have tried though)
Can you post comment on my Poll:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic98305.html
(it's anonymous, I don't know who posts and when, but still wanted to know, how generally people felt)

when you plug the audio input into your computer, it should be plugged into the green plug, for starters...

when you go to device manager, if you are willing, you can de-activate the new g-card and activate the old one.

also go to sound devices, and make sure it goes to your sound card and says :Use this device(enable)

A few questions here:
For starters, forgive me if I've missed it, but are you on Vista or Windows XP?

If Vista, this is a common problem (and confusion..).

When you install a newer HD Radeon, it does have a new Audio device for Vista (automatically) but needs additional HDMI audio drivers for XP. With Vista, it automatically detects the new HDMI audio device, adds it, then proceeds to remap this as the default audio device.

It sounds like this may be your situation... or you have installed drivers with the HDMI support for XP. Either way, this will change your Windows default audio device away from your actual soundcard and to the HDMI audio device on your videocard.

Unless you have an HDMI cable connecting your new HD videocard to a TV (or a splitter/adapter to split out the audio only) you'll likely want to continue using your on-board audio. Hopefully you havent disabled or uninstalled these drivers from the above scenario.

If you are on Vista, changing the default sound device is simple- you only need right-click on the speaker in the systray (the list of icons on the bottom right side of your desktop), select "Playback Devices" - and find "Speakers" or anything that references your SoundMAX integrated soundcard.. click on it and then the "Set as Default" button on the bottom. You're done.

XP could be a few extra steps but similar (in the Control Panel and has some drop-downs and such).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back