No boot hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCHESTER UK

Ok,I have read the other posts on this subject and they seem to pretty much cover this but I'm hoping someone can dumb it down a bit for me.

sorry I cant be a bit clearer on system specs but I'm on my laptop at work:

On my desktop pc I have just had a new processor(pent 4,3.2ghz) put in and new dual ram(1.5 gb in total).my mother board is now an asrock(not sure of model but cost about £80 i think.also had nvidia 6600 graphic card put in and a new power supply(400w?).I have a maxtor hd(18g) and another hd thats 80g but I cant remember the make or model.just got a new monitor(benq 17fe+)and new keyboard(microsoft pro).

also my cdrom drives gone and now i have dvd and dvd/r.

Think thats everything.

was working great until today came back from shopping and pc had turned of,when i went to reboot it took ages and was un responsive when i reached desktop.tried to reboot several more times and it would get as far as the "hit f2 for setup screen" and it would say "disk error".

Its come up with a few messages that say things like "no boot device"ect.it said hit f1 to continue but all i got was a strange sound from my harddrive.

The maxtor drive was the last part of my original pc,if this is faulty could i just have the 80 gb hard drive?I dont realy want to spend any more cash on my pc if I can help it!

Rochester quotes" The maxtor drive was the last part of my original pc,if this is faulty could i just have the of hard drive?I dont realy want to spen any more cash on my pc if I can help it!"

I am not sure , but if you are asking if your machine can run without the old 18 gig HDD , It certainly can . In fact it may run a little faster with just the new 80 gig.
You are going to have to rearrange some things but that will depend on how the HDD's are connected now.
If you describe how they are installed ( Master ,Slave ,primary channel etc.O/S location ) You can get instructions as to how to proceed.

Hard Drive Problem

Yep,I think its master,slave ect.

I have a c and d drive,the c is from my old compaq(long since updated),the only reason that didnt go was all the stuff i had on there.now i install everything on the d drive,(not much room on c anymore!)would having all my stuff on one drive make it run smoother(runs fine at the moment,well it did)

Just a little worried because when my processor was installed there were a few problems,the heat was going up to 100c instantly,this was sorted when the processor was replaced,could this have damaged the c drive?

also could a virus be the problem?

You need to post how your drives are connected so We can assist you.
For example which drive has windows installed on it, if it is on C:\ and that drive is full, you will have problems. Windows need to have Min 15 % free space in order to function correctly. You need to describe how the two drives are physically connected to the Computer. Is the new drive on the middle of the cable or the end of it?Is the C:\ drive the Master ? etc.
If you cannot answer these questions , it would be better if you take the machine to a repair depot and let a pro look at it.

boot problem

sorry,not sure how its connected,c drives the one which has windows on it,it got about 9gb free.

theres a whole load of leads in and out of it,taking it to the computer guy today at noon,let you know what happens.

boot problem

MMMMMM,odd.turned the PC on and it booted up but took a long time,in between the bios screen and the windows screen a white bar with black lines on came up and the black lines went one at a time.

when windows came on it was pretty unresponsive then "your system has recoverd from a serious error"came up.

It now seems to be working.not sure how long for!

I can't tell much from the events you give , but I would guess maybe an issue with that older drive. I hope you still take your machine in.
You may have just witnessed the beginnings of Hard drive failure, in which case , even though it is running now , It will return to haunt you.
I also would recommend you investigate a Backup program so you do not lose any important data.
Let us know hw things worked out.

If that is a SATA 80GB Maxtor, its probably pooched.

They are not the most reliable harddrive out there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back