No BSOD's in Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowglo

Hello,
A couple of weeks ago I randomly started getting these BSOD's when I was playing video games. Then they began happening They ranged from IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL to PAGE_FAULT (or whatever) to 0x00000008 to 0x0000007e to 0x0000008e to 0x0000000a. This became more and more frequent. Many times my comp would just freeze in the startup, when I tried configuring BIOS settings, when the Windows bar went by. Microsoft kept saying my video driver was the problem but even after I updated my NVIDIA Geoforce GT 6800 Driver it still came up. So then I just uninstalled the Video Driver completely but the BSOD's kept coming. I tried Safe Mode a number of times but most of the time it would restart my comp. The VERY rare times when it would boot into Safe Mode it would sometimes give me BSOD's, leading me to think it was a RAM issue. About an hour ago my comp froze and so I restarted it into Safe Mode, this time it worked. I'm currently in that Safe Mode (amazingly!) so I'm guessing it's some Software/Driver issue, but I'm not sure how to narrow it down, and even if I narrow it down to the Video Driver, I'm not sure what to do since I've tried all the Video Driver options (I think). Anyways, I would like to have a stable, reliable computer that doesn't have to be booted into Safe Mode to not get any BSOD's. All help will be appreciated (The only explanation I have for my stable state in safe mode current is a miracle of God).

P.S. I'm adding my minidump files here if anyone could please analyze them. (I'm pretty sure they'll find it's a RAM or Video Driver problem, but just to be sure and to narrow it down)

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    97.7 KB · Views: 6
Pull the G-Force card and install a simple PCI video card or use the on-board video if you have it, and see if your system stablizes

I'm not sure if I can get my hands on a PCI video card but if I can, I will definitely try. Thanks for the reply and advice.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`ll find instructions on how to test you ram and how to run a disk check in this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

So when I run a memtest86, it gets through one pass without errors and then around 29 min or so it'll freeze. One time at around the 28 min mark it said it had 3 errors. I'm gonna try moving around the my RAM and see what that does.

That`s a possibility. However, I`d change the ram first and see what happens.

Is it possible you psu is underpowered? That would also cause random BSOD`s How many watts is it and how many amps does it put out on the 12volt rail? You can find this info on the psu label.

Regards Howard :)

It says 500 watt output

Then under it it says AC Input:115v/10A; 230v/5a; 60hz/ 50hz

oh and in the DC Output it says for +12V - 19A

Ok, assuming your psu is ok and the fact you`ve had errors in memtest with you ram, I`d say it`s almost certainly a ram problem.

What about all those Video Device Driver problems Microsoft said?

btw, could anyone post an analysis of my minidumps?

P.S. So I changed the RAM slots and I'm still getting a BSOD and freezing during startup.

2 minidumps crash at win32k.sys. This is the Multi-User Win32 Driver. They have bugchecks of 0A and E3.

2 minidumps crash at ntkrnlpa.exe. This is the Windows nt & kernel system file. They have a bugcheck of 8E.

1 minidump crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Windows bootup kernel file. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

0x000000E3: RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED

Various failures involving the NTFS file system cause this condition.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Due to the random nature of your bugchecks, I`m pretty sure your problem is hardware related.

Add the fact that Memtest gives you errors and it seems likely you have a ram problem. Obviously changing dimm slots won`t help if the ram`s faulty.

You should go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram/hard drive/page file etc.

I took out my NVIDIA video card and put in an old PCI video card and it's still freezing on the startup screen...

And I did the chkdsk /f thing and it was fine.

I switched RAM slots, I left only one RAM in, I tried the other RAM by itself, it's still freezing at startup and giving me BSODs.

Microsoft said:
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software.
What else is there...? Solar flares? Sun spots? Kind of a vague message. ;)

Problem Solved

I sent my computer to the shop and they found out it was the PSU, they replaced it and now my computer works like a DREAM!! yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back